Jupiter High students featured in Jupiter Lighthouse ArtCenter exhibit

Junior Caitlyn Lombardo transforms her photography with famous Monet paintings. Her artwork is on display at the Lighthouse ArtCenter in Tequesta.

Art from Jupiter High’s AICE Art and Design A level students was on display April 1-16 at the Lighthouse ArtCenter in Tequesta. The exhibition, themed Whispers into the Void, was curated by AP Art History students and was presented in partnership with the Norton Museum of Art for the third consecutive year.

The 16 entered students used techniques such as embroidery, digital manipulation and video installation for their artworks that documented their depictions of introspection, decay, intimacy and vulnerability.

“All of our work had either the story of conversations like talking to artists through their artwork or overlaying pictures and showing the contrast,” said junior Caitlyn Lombardo.

Lombardo took pictures of a local bridge and overlaid Monet paintings on them.

“When I arrived, they had art work lining the hallway and I was mid-way down the hall with my artwork showing the theme for body positivity. Having my painting showing a bare body with missing legs and arms so the main view would show what I wanted to focus on. I wanted the painting to show me,” said sophomore Isabella Dietz.

She said when people looked at her art piece they were confused before she explained its meaning.

“This is my first time placing, and I know it always creates very impressive artwork every year…I enjoyed seeing something I created for a broad audience,” said junior Jordan Kleinman.

Kleinman photographed his car and digitally created his own car company logo for his displayed artwork.

“It made me proud to see my artwork on the wall because I felt like I had accomplished something great. It’s not every day where you get to say that your work was partnered with the Norton Museum. And when others like my work it makes me appreciate it even more,” said junior Wil Verk.

He took pictures of architecture and edited them to enhance the sense of simplicity.

In addition to the exhibit, students were taken on a guided tour of the Norton Museum’s Rudin Prize for Emerging Photographers which featured artwork by contemporary artists. They also experienced a conversation with Tim B. Wride, the Norton’s William and Sarah Ross Soter Curator of Photography.

Jupiter High School, the Norton Museum and the Lighthouse ArtCenter will continue this art exhibition, making it an annual tradition for future art students to display their talents.