An eclipse to remember

Teacher Sherman Steele and School Counselor Shaun Hutton view the eclipse in Jupiter High’s courtyard with special glasses to shield the eyes from harmful rays.

The town of Jupiter witnessed celestial history on Aug. 21 during a near-total solar eclipse. The last solar eclipse occurred in 1979.

Prior to the rare scientific anomaly, preparations were made to ensure the safety of students and faculty who viewed the eclipse. Palm Beach County School District excused students from classes because of the possible danger of staring into the sun during the school day; many Warriors opted to view the eclipse from home with friends and family.

According to NASA, the sun burns at approximately 10,000 degrees Fahrenheit, 93 million miles away, which seems far away, but is close enough to inflict a permanent hole in the retinas of the eyes—the center of the eye’s vision.

“Classes are going to be held as normal…however, sixth hour will be cut short and will only be 25 minutes in duration…all after-school practices have been moved indoors until after 4:19,” said Assistant Principal and appointed eclipse coordinator Kelly Foss.

However, Jupiter High embraced the rarity of the occasion with fun and informational activities. During seventh period, students were escorted to the auditorium by teachers to an “eclipse viewing party.”

Meanwhile, science teachers, including physics teacher Lorraine Plageman, enhanced students’ experience with an after-school field trip. Students who filled out a permission slip were permitted to view the eclipse with NASA approved solar viewers provided by their teachers.

“We’re going to go outside and we’re going to very safely…look in increments,” said Plageman.

Despite the possible danger the eclipse posed, JHS made a historical day at school safe and fun.