Beloved Assistant Principal Mike Crum retires

Mr. Crum shows off his new rocking chair on his porch in North Carolina. The chair was a retirement gift from the JHS faculty and staff.

Mike Crum

After 13 years of being a chief of the Jupiter Warrior tribe, and 30 years as an educator, Assistant Principal Mike Crum hangs up his bow-and-arrow one last time and enters retirement on Sept. 1.

For several years of his career, Crum travelled from West Palm Beach daily to work at Jupiter High. He enjoyed working closely with fellow administrators, who made every day worthwhile, while also seeing young people succeed.

“Going into classrooms, seeing the interaction between teachers and students, seeing students get [the instruction], that’s by far the best thing that I do,” said Crum.

Crum’s biggest regret is not getting to know the “good students” a bit more, since most of his career involved ensuring safety and deescalating issues of poor behavior.

“When we get in the limo at the end of the year to go to dinner with the top 10 kids it’s like looking at a bunch of strangers,” said Crum, laughing, but he went on to say how rewarding the experience was and that it was one he eagerly awaited each year.

Crum’s advice to students is to be polite, respectful and cooperative with teachers in order to reach success.

“I’m willing to help anyone, anytime, for any reason and all they have to do is ask. I’m here to serve people, not to push them around or punish them; I get a lot more out of helping someone then I ever did out of punishing anyone,” said Crum.

During his retirement, Crum plans to travel the United States, spend time at his home in North Carolina and see his four adult children and nine grandchildren more frequently.

“I’m sad; I will miss a lot of people…but I’m happy to move on with a new phase of my life,” said Crum, who considers his educational experience to have been his best years.

Though he is remorseful about not having the opportunity to see the current seniors graduate, Crum gave the 2018 class a heartfelt wish for their very best, knowing they will do well.

“I’m so proud of the kids that go here because they always come out of here going to great schools, and I’m sure the vast majority become very productive members of society…To know that in some small way you may have been part of that is always a good feeling,” said Crum.