• Boy bowlers break Jupiter highschool 5-person team record with a score of 1156

• Spirit of Jupiter Marching Band placed 4th place at the Bands of America Alabama Regional Championship

• Proposed hurricane Irma make-up days: Oct. 16, Nov. 3 and Jan. 8

• All sports and clubs info available via Edline in the calendar section

• 2018 yearbooks on sale for $70 at www.yearbookordercenter.com

5 health benefits of going vegan

Warm brownie sundae at Christopher’s kitchen. Who would ever guess it is vegan!

Amanda Mikulski

Amanda Mikulski

Thinking of going vegan? Maybe this will be enough to sway you. Veganism is the practice of eliminating animal products from your life, especially when it comes to diet. While it’s not for everyone, it does have some definite benefits. And now, going vegan is easier than ever with the addition of several local vegan-friendly restaurants, including Christopher’s Kitchen and Yard House in Palm Beach Gardens, Twin Peaks and Darbster in West Palm Beach, and BurgerFi in Jupiter.

Veganism can help prevent cancer

A 2012 study by the National Center for Biotechnology Information on the effects of a vegan/vegetarian diets on cancer concluded that vegans have substantially lower cancer risks. For women, in particular, following a vegan diet can reduce the risk of breast cancer. A study out of Loma University reported, “Vegans have lower rates of cancer than both meat-eaters and vegetarians. Vegan women had 34 percent lower rates of female-specific cancers such as breast, cervical and ovarian cancer.”

So, how does it all work? It has to do with a growth hormone called IGF-1. This hormone causes cancer cells in the body to grow more rapidly. Animal products increase IGF-1 levels in the body, while a plant-based diet reduces the levels of IGF-1. The bottom line is several forms of cancer can be prevented or treated by a vegan diet.

Veganism leads to weight loss

Weight loss and vegetarianism or veganism go hand-in-hand because these diets are lower in total fat. Animal products are the major sources of saturated fat. Gabrielle M. Turner-McGrievy, Neal D. Barnard and Anthony R . Scialli conducted a study on weight loss trial comparing a vegan diet to a moderate low-fat diet (published by the National Center for Biotechnology Information) and found that the vegan group had a greater reduction in body mass.

Veganism equals glowing skin

People who live on the Kitavan Islanders of Papua New Guinea do not suffer from acne, and their diet is thought to be the reason. They live off unprocessed, low-fat plant-foods, so scientists believe there is correlation between this and the clear skin. Research has also demonstrated that dairy products can lead to acne, as well as foods with a high glycemic load, though a vegan diet eliminates both of these.

Veganism means less body odor

Who knew there was a direct link between the food we eat and our body odor?! Body odor is affected by what is emitted by sweat glands. These glands are designed to help us get rid of toxins from the body. Red meat and other foods that lack fiber such as white flour, hydrogenated oil and added sugars tend to be the primary causes of B.O. These kinds of foods are not a big part (if at all) of a vegan diet.

Veganism has no place for migraines

Nobody likes them; they can actually cripple a person. Migraines are often triggered by what a person eats. According to the National Headache Foundation, “42 randomly selected [people who get migraines] ate either a vegan diet or received a placebo supplement for 26 weeks. Followers of the vegan diet reported a significant decrease in pain, as well as changes in body weight and cholesterol levels.” If you suffer from migraines, veganism is worth a shot, right?

2 Comments

2 Responses to “5 health benefits of going vegan”

1. day on September 29th, 2017 10:32 am

While I applaud the tenacity of vegans for being able to maintain a certain diet for so long, I find the practice of veganism to actually be counterintuitive to a healthy lifestyle. I do not come to this conclusion simply because I love meat, but as someone who was raised on a cattle farm, I see the value in eating a healthy omnivorous diet.
    Vegans often times lack the vitamins and nutrients that are important to maintain a healthy lifestyle. The lack of vitamins and nutrients can be detrimental to their health.
    Also, the idea that people would choose fake food over real food is a little perplexing. Vegans often use many unnatural elements to create the pseudo-taste of real food. Let’s consider the example of Earth Balance, a non-dairy butter often used in vegan diets.
    Ingredients in a Earth Balance: Palm fruit oil, canola oil, safflower oil, flax oil, olive oil, salt, natural flavor, pea protein, sunflower lecithin, lactic acid, annatto color.
    Ingredients in butter: butter.
    Finally, I think an omnivorous diet helps maintain a healthy planet for all animals and vegetation. There is a need for meat to be eaten to help maintain over-poplulation. While this may be the weakest of arguments, it’s value cannot be denied.
    Nice article, just another side.

[Reply]

2. Keith W. Davis on October 6th, 2017 7:25 pm

Great article Amanda. Nice writing style and very informative. Congratulations on publishing some good journalism. Keep it up and remember that in journalism, as in law (which is my pastime), you will always receive your fair share of contrary opinions. Don’t take them personally; just accept them for what they are and move on to your next story.

[Reply]

• 5 health benefits of going vegan

Dining

Where to dine in Jupiter

• 5 health benefits of going vegan

News

Jupiter High partners with Perry J. Cohen Foundation to make environmental legacy

• 5 health benefits of going vegan

Sports

Volleyball off to a successful start

• 5 health benefits of going vegan

Sports

Coach Tharp leads Warrior football in a new direction

• 5 health benefits of going vegan

News

Hundreds mourn missing Tequesta teens two years later

• 5 health benefits of going vegan

Features

Tragedy in Charlottesville

• 5 health benefits of going vegan

School News

Warrior dance team invited to Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade

• 5 health benefits of going vegan

Fashion

New school year, new fashion trends

• 5 health benefits of going vegan

A&E

Coldplay lights up Hard Rock Stadium with ‘A Head Full of Dreams’ tour

• 5 health benefits of going vegan

School News

Beloved Assistant Principal Mike Crum retires

5 health benefits of going vegan