• Jupiter High wrestling team wins North Conference Tournament on Nov.13

• Jupiter High competitive cheer wins 2017 UCA Central Florida Regionals and get a bid to nationals

• Spirit of Jupiter Marching Band wins first place at the University Classic with a season-high score of 85.4

• All sports and clubs info available via Edline in the calendar section

• 2018 yearbooks on sale for $85 at www.yearbookordercenter.com

Victims of Harvey (not the hurricane)

American film producer Harvey Weinstein has been charged with over 40 accounts of sexual harassment and assault from various women, including Hollywood stars. Photo by the Palm Beach Post

Over 40 women have filed sexual harassment charges against American film producer Harvey Weinstein, including several actresses who starred in his movies in the 1980s-2000s.

Weinstein’s victims have become voices for a worldwide problem: sexual harassment and assault. However, many are wondering how these particular cases lasted completely unheard of for so long. The sickening answer is blackmail and payments to those would keep Weinstein’s secret, according to sources reported in the Los Angeles Times.

Many actresses stayed in the dark about Weinstein’s actions because he “offered the promise of fame or career ruin” according to Emily Nestor, an employee at the Weinstein Company.

The Los Angeles Police Department is encouraging any more Weinstein victims in the Hollywood area to come forward with their cases, as sexual harassment does not seem to be a rarity there. For example, singer-songwriter Kesha Rose Sebert recently related her hit single “Praying” to the trials she endured with her producer—and alleged rapist— Lukasz “Dr. Luke” Gottwald.

Famous men have also found courage to come out against sexual perpetrators after the Weinstein cases were exposed. American actor Terry Crews was groped by an unnamed film producer in 2013 and only recently told the media, revealing how sexual harassment crimes are of power rather than sex. Crews understands why many victims stay quiet.

“I didn’t want to be ostracized,” said Crews in an interview with Independent News.

Closer to home, junior Cassidy Mulligan has witnessed accounts of sexual harassment in Jupiter.

“Sexual harassment [is not limited to] touching; it’s also verbal. It’s saying something mean on social media about how much someone is willing to do with another person,” said Mulligan.

Mulligan believes the harassment can go both ways but notices victims are mostly female.

Junior Christopher Matteo understands why Jupiter’s cases often go unreported.

“There’s a line between what qualifies as ‘sexual harassment’ and what doesn’t, and I think many people are scared to incorrectly cross that line and get someone in trouble for something others don’t consider bad here. I believe it comes from a lot of people not understanding proper respect,” said Matteo.