Academy Open House

Jupiter High held their annual Academy Open House for incoming freshmen on Thursday, Nov. 16 from 6 to 8 p.m. This was an opportunity to learn more about not only JHS In-House Academies but also the Choice programs.

“This open house is mainly for the incoming students and parents who are interested in learning more about the Choice and In-House Academies that we offer here at JHS. There will be a general overview session to briefly describe each academy, an explanation of the AICE Diploma, and an all-encompassing ‘Here’s what JHS has to offer’,” Choice Coordinator Tammy Deleonardo said.

Environmental Science (JERFSA) teacher Kim Jalm agreed. “The event gives kids a chance to meet the academy teachers that they will have and ensure that the actual program truly matches their perception,” said Jalm.

The open house took place in the JHS auditorium and showcased the wide range of JHS academies and Choice programs.

“We offer five In-House Academies: ARMY JROTC, Horticulture, Criminal Justice, Information Technology (Digital Design or CyberSecurity) and Culinary Art,” Deleonardo said.

A student must be zoned to attend JHS based on where they currently reside in order to be eligible to apply for one of the in-house academies. However, if a student is not zoned for JHS, there is still a possibility the student could get into the school through one of the Choice programs.

“We offer three Choice Academies: Environmental Science, Engineering and Pre-Medical. Students from anywhere in the Palm Beach County School District may apply for these Choice Academies,” Deleonardo said.

These Choice Academies give students an opportunity to study in-depth an area they’re interested in.

Sophomore Nick Casino, a member of JERFSA, said he, “learned a lot about the field experiences while in the Environmental Academy.”

With both the In-House and Choice Academies, JHS has many alluring aspects to make it the perfect school for students.

“Students should want to attend Jupiter High School because secondary education is about so much more than an academy class or two. The decision to attend a particular school is about choosing the school that offers everything. A comprehensive athletics program, academically rigorous course work, a safe environment, opportunities for competition and community service and clubs to join,” said Deleonardo.