• All sports and clubs info available via Edline in the calendar section

• 2018 yearbooks on sale for $110 (cash or check to room 4203)

Houston Astros leave the Dodgers Stadium victorious after their first ever World Series championship title

The+Houston+Astros+celebrate+after+their+first+ever+World+Series+championship+title+
The Houston Astros celebrate after their first ever World Series championship title

Palm Beach Post

Palm Beach Post

On Nov. 1, the Major League Baseball (MLB) team, the Houston Astros, won their first ever World Series title against the Los Angeles Dodgers at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles.

Top of first: Astros up to bat

Astros consistent hitter George Springer started the Astros off with a double to left field corner. Alex Bregman followed with a grounder to first but Cody Bellinger’s (first baseman) throw to Yu Darvish (pitcher) was bad and Springer scored. Bregman advanced to second on the error and showed his aggressiveness by stealing third. Jose Alture grounded out which resulted in Bregman scoring making it 2-0 Astros.

Bottom of first

To lead off, Dodgers center fielder, Chris Taylor launched the ball to right center for a double. Corey Seager struck out, and Lance McCullers hit two batters with pitches loading the bases. With McCullers staying calm, he effectively made Joc Penderson hit a ground out to second ending the inning.

Top of second

Brian McCann started the second inning with an eight pitch walk. With no outs, Marwin Gonzalez laced a double to the wall which resulted in runners on second and third. Darvish got the first out for the Dodgers with a soft grounder to second hit by Josh Reddick. McCullers also hit a soft grounder to second scoring McCann. While up to bat, Springer hit his fifth homerun of the World Series scoring Gonzalez and himself changing the score 5-0 Astros. By the end of the inning, Darvish was replaced by Houston’s second string pitcher, Brandon Morrow. Morrow struck out Bregman on a three pitch shut out ending the inning.

Bottom of second

Dodger’s second baseman, Logan Forsythe drove the ball to left field, and made it to first base for a single. Forsythe then advanced to second on a ground out by Austin Barnes, giving the Astros one out. Kike Hernandez pinched hit for Morrow and got walked. With Chris Taylor up to bat, the Astros were ready to make another out, Taylor crushed a line drive to Astros short stop Carlos Correa. Correa caught the liner and threw behind Forsythe to second for the double out.

Top of third

This was a quick three up three down inning for the Astros. Jose Altuve hit a fly out to center field giving the Dodgers one out. Correa also hit a fly out to right field for an out. With Astros in high hopes, Gurriel walked up to the plate ready to hit but struck out looking at a 95 MPH fastball right down the zone.

Bottom of third

With the score still at 5-0 Astros, the Dodgers are up to bat and anxious to score. Corey Seager hit the ball to right center field hoping to get a double out of it but, ended up staying at first due to outfielder George Springer’s efficient tracking skills. Cody Bellinger battled at the plate but struck out on five pitches. Justin Turner got hit by a pitch for the second time by McCullers. Astros coach, A.J Hinch, replaced McCullers with Peacock to pitch their way out of the bottom of the third inning. Up to bat next was Yasiel Puig who, unfortunately hit a high pop fly to Peacock. Peacock then got the Astros out of the inning by striking out Penderson.

Top of fourth

This inning was yet again another short one for the Astros. On just three pitches, Kershaw strikes out McCann for the first out. Gonzalez is up to bat and hits a grounder for a single. Gonzalez aggressively steals second on a wild pitch and successfully makes it there without a doubt. Unfortunately for the Astros, Reddick grounds out for the second out and Peacock hits a pop fly that was caught to end the inning.

Bottom of fourth

Yet another short offensive inning but this time for the Dodgers. Forsythe hit a ground out to third, Barnes hit a pop up to third resulting in an out and Kershaw struck out, making it Peacocks first 1-2-3 inning of the game.

Top of fifth

Kershaw showed the Astros up by having his own 1-2-3 inning. Springer struck out with a slider right up the zone, Bregman also struck out and Altuve hit a pop up to third in foul territory that was caught by Bellinger.

Bottom of fifth

Peacock got the first out of the inning, but walked Seager off nine pitches. Peacock got replaced by Francisco Liriano after Justin Turner hit a grounder for a single. Bellinger grounded out but advanced the runners. Puig ends the inning with a line drive that was caught.

Top of sixth

Carlos Correa started the inning off for the Astros with a single to left. Correa then advanced to third base on a pair of ground outs. Gonzalez was intentionally walked along with pinch hitter Evan Gattis making it bases loaded with two outs. Ending the inning for the Astros was a pop up to third base hit by Cameron Maybin.

Bottom of sixth

Astros fifth pitcher of the day, Charlie Morton, was immediately in trouble on the mound. Penderson hit a single and Forsythe walked resulting in no outs and runners on base. Morton eventually got an out when he caught a pop fly hit to him by Barnes. Pinch hitter Andre Ethier hit a single that resulted in the Dodgers to score, making it 5-1, Astros still in the lead. Morton picked up the pace and got two more outs by striking out Taylor and leading Seager to hit a ground out to short.

Top of seventh

Springer smacked a fly ball to the outfield that was impressively caught by Taylor with a diving catch. Bregman struck out on seven pitches and Altuve walked. Trying to be aggressive, Altuve stole second base but got caught up when Correa popped up to short stop, ending the inning.

Bottom of seventh

Turners pop up to first was caught, Bellinger struck out and a grounder to Astros short stop Gurriel, for the third out, making it a short inning for the Dodgers.

Top of eighth

Dodger’s pitcher Jansen was replaced by Alex Wood, who pitched a 1-2-3 inning. Gurriel, McCann and Gonzalez struck out, with the score still remaining, 5-1 Astros.

Bottom of eighth

Following the Astros short offensive inning is the Dodgers with their very own short inning. Pederson up to bat first for this inning, but disappoints with a strike out. Forsythe hit a pop fly to right field that was caught; Barnes also hit a pop fly, but instead to right field it was hit to center field resulting in a catch ending the bottom of the eighth.

Top of ninth

It’s the last offensive inning for the Astros and they are more than anxious to score more runs, but Dodgers’ pitcher Alex Wood, came through with a scoreless inning for the Astros. On just three pitches, it was a strike out for Morton. Following him was Maybin with a strike out on five pitches. Springers pop fly to center was caught and the Astros were now only three outs away from their first World Series Championship.

Bottom of ninth

The intensity is quickly rising for the two teams when they take the field. Pinch hitter Chase Utley took the first out with a strike out by Morton. The Astros needed two more outs till their victory and the Dodgers made it pretty easy; Taylor and Seager left the Astros victorious after they hit ground outs to second base to end the game. Their fans were as happy as could be, and to celebrate, the Astros charged the mound with excitement which resulted in a dog pile.