• All sports and clubs info available via Edline in the calendar section

• 2018 yearbooks on sale for $110 (cash or check to room 4203)

Celebrities are bringing awareness to Cyntoia Brown’s life sentence

A recent celebrity campaign is bringing attention to a 13-year-old case involving Cyntoia Brown, a woman convicted of killing a man after she was forced into sex trafficking at the age of 16.

“[Brown] was verbally, physically, and sexually abused then sold to a 43-year-old Nashville realtor, named Johnny Allen, who used her for sex,” Erika June Smith, a reporter for WGN Channel 9 News, said.

In 2004, Brown was tried as an adult and will not be eligible for parole until she is in her late 60s. Celebrities, including Kim Kardashian West, Rihanna, LeBron James and Snoop Dogg, have been posting on social media and speaking out on her behalf to bring her justice.

“Something is horribly wrong when the system enables these [criminals] and the victim is thrown away for life! To each of you responsible for this child’s sentence I hope to God you don’t have children, because this could be your daughter being punished for punishing already!” Rihanna said via Twitter.

Kardashian West also publicly decried Brown’s sentence on social media. “The system failed…I’ve called my attorneys yesterday to see what can be done to fix this,” West said.

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit has Brown’s appeal case pending. They are trying to reduce the time Brown is serving.

“The United States remains the only country in the world that allows children to be sentenced to life without parole, though recent Supreme Court cases have significantly restricted this practice, reasoning that children age out of criminal activity and have greater capacity for reform,” Sarah Mehta said from American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU).

Even Jupiter High students are criticizing Brown’s jail time.

“She should be let out because it was self-defense. She was trapped in this horrible criminal organization and it was probably the only way she would have gotten out. Sometimes you have to take justice into your own hands,” junior Brandon Lopez said.