• December 3Nick Jonas and Priyanka Chopra married Nov. 30

• December 3Former President George H.W. dies at 94

Trump’s first State of the Union Address

Back to Article
Back to Article

Palm Beach Post

Palm Beach Post

Palm Beach Post

President Donald Trump gave his first State of the Union Address to Congress on Jan. 30 at 9 p.m. in the House of Representatives.

After a long first year of the President making unsightly comments and ludicrous speeches, Americans wondered whether he would be able to pull off his State of the Union Address as eloquently as his predecessors had.

And, relatively, I suppose, in some ways he did. It probably won’t go down in history as one of the top ten addresses, but, compared to his previous statements, wherein he has mocked disabled people, called Mexican immigrants rapists, discussed forcibly grabbing women by their genitals and derogatorily referred to third world countries, his address was a moderate success.

Trump proposed infrastructure reform, asked Congress to set aside their differences and come together to serve the American people and commented on the economic progress accomplished during the past year.

“Let’s begin tonight by recognizing that the State of our Union is strong because our people are strong. And together we are building a safe, strong and proud America,” Trump said.

His address was, however, comparable to a greatest hits album; he mainly focused on what he and his cabinet accomplished this year (factually, not much was done), barely discussing his future plans. He still made sure to mention the infamous border wall, however.

Other than that, he really didn’t say anything too offensive, besides insinuating that most immigrants are gang-members, and saying that coal was clean. At this point, do these egregious errors even count as offensive, or are they just to be expected from our misinformed President?

Following Trump’s address, five separate responses were scheduled by the Democrats: the official response from Rep. Joe Kennedy III, the Spanish-language response from Del. Elizabeth Guzman, a response from Sen. Bernie Sanders, a response from Rep. Maxine Waters and the Working Families Party response from former Congress member Donna Edwards.

Some say the large amount of responses is a sign of a fractured party, but Kennedy believes that all of the diverse voices speaking for the party is a good thing.

Kennedy’s speech focused on American reunification, saying, “This administration isn’t just targeting the laws that protect us–they are targeting the very idea that we are all worthy of protection.”

This is the second year Sanders has disregarded the official statement from a continually more centrist Democratic party and released his own statement.

“The American people do not want a president who is compulsively dishonest, who is a bully, who actively represents the interests of the billionaire class, who is anti-science, and who is trying to divide us up based on the color of our skin, our nation of origin, our religion, our gender, or our sexual orientation,” Sanders said.