• Jupiter baseball headed to the state championship in Ft. Myers June 1

• Tropical disturbance in the Gulf of Mexico has a 90% chance of development

• Final exams begin Tuesday, May 29

• All sports and clubs info available via Edline in the calendar section

• 2018 yearbooks on sale for $110 (cash or check to room 4203)

Super Bowl LII’s entertainment

MINNEAPOLIS%2C+MN+-+FEBRUARY+04%3A+Recording+artist+Justin+Timberlake+performs+onstage+during+the+Pepsi+Super+Bowl+LII+Halftime+Show+at+U.S.+Bank+Stadium+on+February+4%2C+2018+in+Minneapolis%2C+Minnesota.+%28Photo+by+Christopher+Polk%2FGetty+Images%29+
MINNEAPOLIS, MN - FEBRUARY 04: Recording artist Justin Timberlake performs onstage during the Pepsi Super Bowl LII Halftime Show at U.S. Bank Stadium on February 4, 2018 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. (Photo by Christopher Polk/Getty Images)

The Super Bowl has become almost a national holiday where friends and family get together to watch the big game. After all, the Super Bowl appeals to everyone, not just football lovers. This year’s non-football entertainment included Pink singing the National Anthem, Justin Timberlake’s half-time performance and the best commercials of the year.

Pink opened the Super Bowl in Minneapolis, Minn. Adults in Las Vegas placed bets on whether Pink’s rendition of the National Anthem would be shorter or longer than two minutes. Pink took one minute and 58 seconds to sing “The Star-Spangled Banner” despite having the flu.

“This is one of the biggest honors of my life, singing this song in front of my family, my military family, my dad and brother and step mama and family and the world,” Pink said.

Timberlake performed for the Pepsi Super Bowl LII Halftime Show. It included his classic like “Cry Me A River,” “Suit & Tie,” “SexyBack,” “Senorita,” “Mirrors” and “My Love.” Timberlake also sang some of his newer songs like “Can’t Stop the Feeling” and “Filthy.” Timberlake also paid tribute to Prince whose hometown is Minneapolis.

“[Prince has] always been the pinnacle of musicianship for me. When we decided that the serendipity and synergy that we would be in Minneapolis and that, you know, he’s such a special thing here, aside from what he is all over the world, I just felt like I wanted to do something for this city and something for him that would be the ultimate homage to what I consider the GOAT (greatest of all time) of musicians,” Timberlake said during an interview with Jimmy Fallon.

Every year, viewers look forward to watching the commercials in between plays because they are considered the best of the year. Over 100 million viewers were expected to watch the Super Bowl, so NBC took advantage of the revenue-creating opportunity by charging $5 million for every 30-second slot. Due to the hefty prices companies created the strongest, funniest commercials for game day. Some of the top commercials for the 2018 Super Bowl were Doritos Blaze Vs. Mountain Dew Ice, Febreze’s “The Only Man Whose Bleep Don’t Stink,” Alexa Loses Her Voice and Tide’s Commercials With David Harbour. This year’s commercials featured content with almost no references to politics, in comparison to the many commercials poking jokes at the Trump administration during Super Bowl LI.

“Last year, we saw nods to the nobility of immigration or gender equality or civil rights. Not this year. Perhaps because of fatigue over real-life political battles, marketers this year seemed to tone down the snark and avoid anything with a whiff of a political statement,” Eric Deggans, a reporter for NPR, said.