Jupiter High students show support for Stoneman Douglas

Poster+that+Jupiter+High+school+art+students+made+to+send+to+Stoneman+Douglas+high+school.+

@jupiterhigh_art on Twitter

Poster that Jupiter High school art students made to send to Stoneman Douglas high school.

The tragedy that occurred at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School on Feb. 14 has had a huge impact on our nation as a whole. Students at Jupiter High have found ways to memorialize the 17 innocent lives lost on that heartbreaking day.

Art teacher Sarah Knudtson and her students made a banner for Stoneman Douglas as one way for JHS to demonstrate support.

“It’s a difficult moment for them but it is going to be okay…everything is going to be okay,” junior Henry Sylvester said. Sylvester, one of Ms. Knudtson’s students, painted the eagle on the banner in honor of Stoneman Douglas’s school mascot.

As a result of the mass school shooting, new safety precautions at Jupiter High have been implemented. For example, the school now has a single entry, and administrators are requiring students to wear their ID’s at all times.

With students unaccustomed to the mandatory ID requirement, students involved in the club Jumpstarters—the organization that helps new students adjust to JHS—came up with an idea to find the positive in this change.

Jumpstarters approached Principal Dr. Colleen Iannitti with the idea of getting lanyards for the ID’s made with the colors and mascot of Douglas High School, along with the phrase “Never Again” printed on the plastic sleeve of the lanyard. All profits made from the sales will go to Stoneman Douglas.

According to junior Ashley Giles, a member of Jupiter’s Student Government Association, on March 15, SGA will distribute the lanyards at the memorial rally.

Along with these displays of commemoration, students across the country have stood in solidarity with Stoneman Douglas by staging school walk-outs.

The outpour of support for the school will continue through Jupiter High’s new club called Stoneman Strong.

Juniors Joise Lesser and Gabi Young are the co-presidents and founders of the club.

“We are hoping that clubs will open up chapters of Stoneman Strong at their school so that us students can make our voices heard,” Lesser said.