Jupiter High Dance Marathon exceeds its goal

Jupiter High students participate in Dance Marathon to raise money for cancer patients.

On Feb. 24, Jupiter High students held a fundraiser for the Miracle Network Dance Marathon in the JHS cafeteria. All proceeds went straight to the sick children at Shands Hospital in Gainesville, Fla.

“The idea is to raise enough money so that the parents with sick children have a very small bill to pay or no bill at all. My goal is to make this event part of our school’s culture,” Key Club sponsor Michael Hammett said.

Mr. Hammett and members of the Key Club held several successful fundraisers leading up to the big dance, among them a movie night in the auditorium and coupon cards.

“It was an eye-opening experience to meet a family who has been through the struggle of having a sick child. Being able to help them out is a good feeling,” sophomore Lindsey Fine said.

The Children’s Miracle Network is a non-profit organization that raises funds and awareness for more than 170 pediatric hospitals across North America. It is the only children’s charity committed to having 100% of the funds raised stay local to support local kids.

The Dance Marathon unites college and high school students across North America. Students involved in a campus dance marathon organization spend a year gaining leadership, teamwork, and nonprofit business experience while raising funds and awareness for their local Children’s Miracle Network Hospital.

The University of Florida is very involved in the Dance Marathon every year. The money raised for Jupiter High’s Dance Marathon was donated to the same hospital UF donates their funds to.

“My favorite part of the night was when we made the big reveal on how much money we raised. The turn out this year was amazing and I am glad I was able to be a part of it,” senior Sophia Mansbach said.

The year’s goal for Jupiter High was to raise $25,000. During the night attendees got to meet patient families treated at their local hospital, participate in games and dancing, enjoy entertainment. With the help of over 200 students, friends, family members and staff, JHS raised ­­­over $28,000, outdoing last year’s grand total of $17,000 as well as beating this year’s goal.