• April 15Tiger Woods wins the 2019 Masters Tournament

• April 15No School Friday 4/19

• April 15WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange arrested in London on U.S. extradition warrant

• April 10JHS Drama puts on Mary Poppins Jr. at 7 p.m. on April 11 & 12 and 2 p.m. on April 13

• April 10SGA Voters Registration April 11 at lunch. Must be 16 and have a government ID

• April 10Yearbooks available for purchase cash or check in room 4-203

• April 10JHS Talent Show May 2

Orange Theory partners with Augie’s Quest to support ALS treatment and research

Back to Article
Back to Article

Orange Theory studio raises money to support AlS.

Evelyn Collins

Evelyn Collins

Evelyn Collins

During the months of Feb. and March, Orange Theory Fitness held a fundraiser at all their gym locations worldwide to find a cure for Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS). They raised nearly two million dollars and donated it directly to Augie’s Quest Foundation.

Augie’s Quest is an organization that raises money to fund research and drug development aimed at ending ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease, for good. Since 2007, Augie’s Quest has raised 45 million dollars to help find an effective treatment for the disease.

Augie’s Quest is the largest individual fundraising program for ALS. The program started in honor of Augie Nieto, “the pioneer of the fitness industry,” and the founder of the largest commercial manufacturing fitness equipment company in the world.

Sadly, in March of 2005, life changed for Nieto forever; he was diagnosed with ALS. The disease now keeps Nieto from being able to complete everyday tasks like walking, dressing, writing, speaking, swallowing and breathing.

“You can either celebrate what you can do, or mourn what you can’t. Every day I wake up and create a new normal. I don’t dwell on what has changed, but instead, I focus on keeping busy achieving my goals,” Nieto said on augiesquest.als.net.

Orange Theory more than doubled their goal from 2017 and raised nearly two million dollars in two weeks. This year’s campaign, #iburnforALS, took place from Feb. 15 to March 8. Studios challenged members to donate as much money as splat points earned in their daily workout. Splat points are achieved each minute members keep their heart rate at the target training zone.

“Being able to donate to this cause by working out for those who aren’t able to move is a good feeling,” Ashley Giles, an Orange Theory member, said.