Warriors travel the globe for Spring Break

Science teacher Sarah Guzick and her fiance, Jordan Kreiger pose in front of Coliseum in Rome, Italy

Jupiter High students and teachers made their spring break a memorable one by traveling the world.

Junior Sara Fraker took a five-day cruise over the break, visiting the islands of Jamaica and Haiti. She went zip-lining and rode jet skis around Haiti, and in Jamaica, she snorkeled the beautiful coral reefs.

“My favorite part about it was talking to all the native people on the islands,” Fraker said.

Junior Kayla Foulk crossed the globe for her break, traveling all the way to Japan. While there, Foulk stayed in the well-known towns of Tokyo, Kyoto and Hiroshima.

“My favorite part was experiencing a new culture and learning about Japan’s history,” Foulk said.

Science teacher Sarah Guzick also traveled a long distance, spending her time off in Italy. Going from Sorrento to Pompeii then on to Capri and Rome, Guzick toured the country for a total of eight days.

“We took a boat ride to the island of Capri where we explored the mountainside…and ate some amazing cannoli. We took a tour of the ancient city of Pompeii…In Rome, we saw all of the sites like the Vatican museums, the Sistine Chapel, St. Peter’s Basilica, the Colosseum, the Roman Forum, the catacombs, the Spanish Steps, the Trevi Fountain and so much more,” Guzick said.

Closer to home, JHS yearbook and newspaper students attended the annual Columbia Scholastic Press Association (CSPA) journalism conference in New York City over the break. They attended sessions at Columbia University on writing, photography, marketing and editing. In the evenings, they toured the city, going to Rockefeller Center, the 9/11 Memorial and One World Observatory. They even attended a Broadway show as part of the enrichment activities for the conference.

Junior Emily Sprankle, a War Cry staffer, took photography and writing classes as part of CSPA. She also attended a session presented by the editors of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School newspaper and yearbook staffs. It was a moving presentation, as the staffers spoke about their experiences and challenges of covering the tragedy that occurred at their school.

“I can’t really say a single thing was my favorite part of the trip. It was all so much fun,” Sprankle said.