• November 12Fla. Governor and Senator races head to recount

• November 12Camp Fire becomes California's deadliest wildfire; at least 31 killed statewide

• October 29189 thought dead in Indonesia plane crash

• October 29Mail bombing suspect arrested in Fla.

Analogopolis Records: the groovy new shop to restore your music favorites

Tom Procyk and his dog Lea in front of their Beatles collection.

Lilly Grella

Lilly Grella

When you first walk into Analogopolis Records, Films and Games, you may be greeted by a sweet six-year-old pit-bull named Lea. And then you’ll see the records.

“I’ve been collecting records since I was a kid… and then I just got too many of them and it started getting popular again so I figured it was a good way to kind of share with people what I enjoy and teach them about the different stuff and how to care for them and how to make them sound the best. It’s kind of fun,” said Tom Procyk, the store’s owner.

Procyk, a record aficionado, decided to jump into the music business.

“I was a projectionist at the movie theaters for about 15 years before that went all digital, then I worked for Disney World for about six years. I was doing hotels there and doing waiter[ing] ….” Procyk said.

Procyk’s music taste played a vital part in him deciding to open up shop.

When it comes to tunes, he likes, “all kinds. The weirder the better. I generally like the usual mainstream stuff; I started with the Beatles and basically listened to them inside and out and upside down and backwards and everything. Now, I’m kind of into classic rock. I like stuff that I’ve never heard before, like one hit wonders or obscure stuff; it always kind of does it for me.”

Procyk said he feels like opening the store was the right decision, and since he doesn’t have a boss, he can hold promotions and events any time. Additionally, Procyk has high hopes when it comes to the future of physical music.

“It’s like the pendulum’s swinging the other way, ‘cause when I started collecting, it was in the ‘90s when everyone was going to CD, so everyone was kind of dumping their collection, and then everyone was dumping CDs for digital downloads. And then they’re realizing now, like, ‘Wait a minute, I just rebought the same album three times, you know, when I download it digitally, I don’t have something. It’s in the Cloud,” he said.

He continued, “So it’s kind of swinging back to where you know I want something physical for my money, and a lot of the new pressings of vinyl too will give you a digital download with the album.”

Analogopolis Records isn’t just any record store. The records sold have already been used, but they’re most likely to be cleaner than any other pre-owned album available.

“The one major thing [that sets us apart], and so far I think I’m the only store in Fla. that does it, is we ultrasonically clean every record that comes through here. It’s a big version of a jewelry cleaner, and it runs at 80 kilohertz. It’s little tiny microscopic bubbles that get in between the grooves and pop out all of the dirt and the gunk and the cigarette smoke and dust and mold and all the stuff from 50 years of accumulation…” Procyk said.

He also stated that while he doesn’t clean other people’s records yet, he’ll likely start doing so once he has finished cleaning his own inventory.

Procyk says the most rewarding aspect to owning the store has been, “being able to handle records that I’d never otherwise…. I wouldn’t buy these records normally, but now that I’m putting stuff on the shelf, restocking, I get to see and hear and experience a lot of stuff that I normally wouldn’t. I’d never buy a Jim Croce record, but now I get to hear all about it….”

When asked how he came up with the name Analogopolis, Procyk said, “I actually read in a book about record stores about how some of them just have generic kinds of names, and other ones… it’s a name that’s way out there. So I was kicking around what could be a city or a place of analogue stuff, and I got Analogopolis.”

Procyk wants younger crowds, especially high school students, to know, “It’s not just for old people. There’s a lot of coolness about it. You don’t necessarily have to buy anything; you can just come in here and say, ‘Y’know, hey, I found this song on Pandora, I want to know more about this band.’ [You can] come and learn about stuff and discover stuff. We also carry Blu-ray SteelBooks, limited edition sets. I try to get stuff in here that you [have] to wait in line for or you’re going to miss it, so I’m the one that waits in line and buys as much as I can and tries to bring it in here. And if you just want to come in and play an old school Atari, you can do that too.”

Analogopolis Records opened Nov. 22, 2017, and is located at 829 Donald Ross Rd. in Juno Beach. It’s open from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays and from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays.