• April 15Tiger Woods wins the 2019 Masters Tournament

• April 15No School Friday 4/19

• April 15WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange arrested in London on U.S. extradition warrant

• April 10JHS Drama puts on Mary Poppins Jr. at 7 p.m. on April 11 & 12 and 2 p.m. on April 13

• April 10SGA Voters Registration April 11 at lunch. Must be 16 and have a government ID

• April 10Yearbooks available for purchase cash or check in room 4-203

• April 10JHS Talent Show May 2

NCAA football is back in business

Back to Article
Back to Article

NCAA football is back in business

Players Stephon Wynn Jr. and Xavian Marks supporting their team Alabama and earning another win on the field.

CNN

CNN

CNN

Sept. 1 marked the beginning of another college football season, much to the delight of fans.

“The thing I like most about college football is the atmosphere,” senior Mikey Robinson said.

Assistant Principal Joe Lang agreed. “I love college because it’s about kids playing for the love of the game and not money,” Lang said.

With his favorite team, the Crimson Tide, leading the pack, Lang was excited for the start of football season. He had high hopes for them to win another national championship.

“My favorite team is the University of Alabama because I played college football in Alabama,” Lang said.

The University of Alabama opened the season ranked #1 in both the AP and Coaches Polls. Currently undefeated, they average over 50 points a game, even against tough opponents.

Following their 13-1 record from 2017, the Crimson Tide started the season with a big win over Louisville on Sept. 1 (51-14) and went on to defeat Arkansas State (57-7) on Sept. 8, Ole Miss (62-7) on Sept. 15 and Texas A&M (45-23) on Sept. 22. On Oct. 6, they beat rival Arkansas with their highest number of points scored this season (65-31).

The Georgia Bulldogs are in second place and started the season with a win over Austin Peay on Sept. 1 (45-0). They also beat South Carolina (41-17) on Sept. 8 and Missouri (43-21) on Sept. 22. The Bulldogs’ next game is Oct. 13, where they will face #13 LSU whose record is 5-1.

With Clemson sweeping up right behind Alabama and Georgia, the Tigers are shining in third place. After beating Furman (48-7) on Sept. 1, Texas A&M (28-26) on Sept. 8, Georgia Southern (38-7) on Sept. 15 and Georgia Tech (49-21) on Sept. 22, they hope to continue their undefeated record into their next game against the NC State Wolfpack on Oct. 20.

Although not ranked in the top ten, Fla. schools are also making their mark on college football.

The Florida Gators are coming off a big win over the LSU Tigers on Oct. 6 and have a 5-1 record. The Tigers were ranked #5 coming into the game but fell to the Gators 27-19. To start the season, the Gators defeated Charleston Southern (53-6) on Sept. 1, Colorado State (48-10) on Sept. 15 and Tennessee (47-21) on Sept. 22, but they fell to Kentucky (27-16) on Sept. 8 on their home turf. Their next game is away on Oct. 13 against the Vanderbilt Commodores.

Like the Gators, the Miami Hurricanes are 5-1 and are leading the Atlantic Coast Conference. They lost their first game to Louisiana State (33-170) on Sept. 2 but came back by winning four straight games against Savannah State (77-0) on Sept. 8, Toledo (49-24) on Sept. 15, Florida International (31-17) on Sept. 22 and North Carolina (47-10) on Sept. 27. They defeated rival FSU on Oct. 6 with a score of 28-27 with a hue comeback in the fourth quarter.

“My favorite college team is the Miami Hurricanes because my family has always been fans, and I was born in Miami,” Robinson said.

Florida State started the season 2-2, with wins against Samford (36-26) and Northern Illinois (37-19) and losses against Virginia Tech (24-3) and Syracuse (30-7). On Oct. 6, however, they lost again to rival Miami after the Hurricanes came back and won the game 28-27. The Seminoles have a 3-3 record going into their next game on Oct. 13, at home, against Wake Forest.