• March 7"Jeopardy!" host Alex Trebek announces stage 4 pancreatic cancer diagnosis

• February 15Katy Perry and Orlando Bloom engaged

• February 15Trump confirms he will sign a national emergency to fund border wall

Broadway Fights Back

Back to Article
Back to Article

Broadway Fights Back

Jelani Alladin, who stars as Kristoff on Broadway’s Frozen, belts his heart out at the event.

Sandra Flores

Sandra Flores

Sandra Flores

Jupiter High’s drama club secretary, junior Alex Magallanes, got a very special opportunity. She was helped produce and was a stage manager for “Broadway Fights Back,” a benefit show for March For Our Lives on Broadway in New York City. It was performed one night only on Oct. 22 at the City’s Town Hall.

“Last year, I came to work as a production assistant in ‘From Broadway with Love,’ another March for Our Lives benefit show in Sunrise, Fla. After receiving recognition for my part in organizing the Jupiter High walk out last year, I networked and made friends with a lot of the producers, management, March for Our Lives kids and actors. When this happened, we [Magallanes and her mother] were invited to come at work with everyone at Town Hall theatre,” said Magallanes.

Stars from both stage and screen joined notable activists to sing protest anthems demanding change in musical theater and other popular genres. There were appearances throughout the evening from speakers and special guests discussing social change, the upcoming midterm elections, and youth involvement in politics through the lens of gun violence.

Performers included Barrett Wilbert Weed from “Mean Girls,” George Salazar from “Be More Chill,” Jessica Keenan Wynn from “Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again,” Nicolette Robinson from “Waitress,” the cast of “The Lightning Thief,” and many more.

March For Our Lives organizer and Stoneman Douglas High School shooting survivor Alex Wind hopes the show will encourage people to utilize their right to vote and help end gun violence.

“Broadway Fights Back is about getting the theatre community and its wide-reaching influences actively involved in the conversation surrounding gun violence prevention and youth empowerment…this concert helps raise more awareness for the work of March For Our Lives and the ongoing efforts to end gun violence,” said Wind.

As an assistant producer on the show, Magallanes was a critical element in making the show happen, and took on several jobs to help bring the show to life.

“Some of the work is just hanging up stage directions, general management in hair and makeup; however, there was cooler stuff like signing in the celebrities and escorting them to their dressing rooms, talking to producers and stage managers, getting to sit in the audience during rehearsals, and spending time with the Stoneman kids just being teenagers,” said Magallanes.

Out of all the people Magallanes had the privilege to work with, producer Yael Silver stood out to her the most.

“One member that stands out [to me] among all these people is Yael Silver. I first met her at the beginning of the year, shortly after the tragedy at Stoneman Douglas. This woman has changed the course of my life for the better. She stands with the movement and she’s 110% ready to fight for what’s right. She opened up as a survivor, rose to the occasion and joined the fight to protect not only what is right but our lives,” said Magallanes.