• May 21‘Game of Thrones’ finale brings a record 19.3 million viewers to HBO

• May 20Golden State Warriors beat Portland Trailblazers 119-117, became second team to compete in NBA finals five consecutive years

• May 20 Chicago police seek suspect in arson attempt at synagogue

• May 20Violent, long-lasting tornadoes threaten Oklahoma, Texas

• May 2016-year-old migrant boy dies in U.S. custody, 5th child to die since December

• May 20May 28- 1st period final exam followed by a full school day with shortened class times

• May 20May 29- Second and third period exams, school day ends at 12 p.m.

• May 20May 30- Fourth and fifth period exams, school day ends at 12 p.m.

• May 20May 31- sixth and seventh period exams, school year ends at 12 p.m.

• May 20Rising seniors wear black on Thursday, May 23 to celebrate becoming the oldest on campus

Now playing: A Star is Born

Bradley+Cooper+had+to+take+voice+lessons+for+18+months+to+get+his+voice+to+a+low+enough+octave+for+his+character.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Now playing: A Star is Born

Bradley Cooper had to take voice lessons for 18 months to get his voice to a low enough octave for his character.

Neal Preston/Warner Bros. Pictures

Neal Preston/Warner Bros. Pictures

Neal Preston/Warner Bros. Pictures

The film “A Star is Born,” starring Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga, hit theaters on Oct. 5 and has created buzz ever since. This remake of the 1937 film “A Star is Born” is being praised for its fresh take on tragic love and a creative storyline that keeps audiences entertained from start to finish. The movie sold out theaters worldwide and made $45 million in its opening weekend.

“The new A Star Is Born, directed by Bradley Cooper and starring himself and Lady Gaga, wrings tears from its romance and thrills from a steadfast belief in old-fashioned, big-feeling cinema,” Manohla Dargis said in her New York Times review.

Main character Jackson Maine, played by Cooper, is a well-known country singer who discovers a struggling musician, Ally, in a bar. The two fall in love with each other and with their musical talents. Ally becomes Jackson’s muse, helping him with his struggles with drugs and alcohol, and Jackson rebuilds Ally’s confidence to perform her music.

‘Gaga is a lightning bolt of emotions — and one hell of an actress. Born Stefani Germanotta, Gaga constructed herself as a one-woman visual extravaganza. But not in this movie. To play Ally, she strips herself of all artifice,” Peter Travers from Rolling stone said.

As Ally becomes more popular as an artist, she is approached by a well-known manager, Rez, who tries to take her performances to the next level. During this transition, it is clear that Ally may lose her true self in the spotlight.

“Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper have really different voices but they sound amazing together. They are both incredibly talented actors and singers,” senior Kendall Baer said.

Not only does Cooper star in the film, but he also directed it. He is credited with the decision to cast Lady Gaga as the lead female role. Gaga’s vocals create strong musical numbers that emphasize the emotion behind each scene.

The movie was given stellar reviews from The New York Times, Variety and Time of India.

“With appealing leads, deft direction, and an affecting love story, A Star Is Born is a remake done right — and a reminder that some stories can be just as effective in the retelling,” Rotten Tomatoes’ critic consensus said.