• May 21‘Game of Thrones’ finale brings a record 19.3 million viewers to HBO

• May 20Golden State Warriors beat Portland Trailblazers 119-117, became second team to compete in NBA finals five consecutive years

• May 20 Chicago police seek suspect in arson attempt at synagogue

• May 20Violent, long-lasting tornadoes threaten Oklahoma, Texas

• May 2016-year-old migrant boy dies in U.S. custody, 5th child to die since December

• May 20May 28- 1st period final exam followed by a full school day with shortened class times

• May 20May 29- Second and third period exams, school day ends at 12 p.m.

• May 20May 30- Fourth and fifth period exams, school day ends at 12 p.m.

• May 20May 31- sixth and seventh period exams, school year ends at 12 p.m.

• May 20Rising seniors wear black on Thursday, May 23 to celebrate becoming the oldest on campus

UPDATE, Nov. 26- White House pulls CNN correspondent Jim Acosta’s press pass

Back to Article
Back to Article

A White House intern reaching for the mic as Jim Acosta is trying to ask the President his question.

Jonathan Ernst

Jonathan Ernst

Jonathan Ernst

Jim Acosta, the chief White House correspondent for CNN, was stripped of his press pass after questioning President Donald Trump at a post-midterms news conference on Nov. 8. 

Acosta asked multiple questions about the election and about Trump characterizing the Central American migrant caravan as an invasion. The questioning became a heated exchange when Acosta continued repeating his questions and Trump continued telling him to pass the microphone. During the exchange, a White House intern tried to grab the microphone but Acosta held on and continued pressing the President. Later that day, Acosta’s press pass, which he has held for five years, was suspended.

This decision enraged not only Democrats but also journalists.

Peter Baker, the chief White House correspondent for The New York Times, tweeted, “False predication to punish a reporter, this is what the president wants. If he really felt like @acosta was unfair, then why did he call on him? Because he wants confrontation.”

White House press secretary Sarah Sanders defended the White House’s decision tweeting that during the argument, when an intern tried to take away the mic, Acosta “placed his hands” on her. Sanders also tweeted out a video of the incident, but some sources are saying the video is doctored. It appears to have cut out Acosta saying “pardon me, ma’am” to the intern, and Acosta’s arm movement of pushing away the intern is sped up.

In support of Acosta, CNN said in a statement the revocation of his pass “was done in retaliation for his challenging questions at today’s press conference.”

“In an explanation, Press Secretary Sarah Sanders lied. She provided fraudulent accusations and cited an incident that never happened. This unprecedented decision is a threat to our democracy and the country deserves better. Jim Acosta has our full support,” CNN also said in the statement.

On Nov. 13, CNN filed a lawsuit against Trump and his aides, claiming CNN and Acosta’s First (freedom of the press) and Fifth (right to due process) Amendment rights have been violated.

UPDATED, Nov. 26

Acosta’s press pass was restored on Nov. 19 by the White House. CNN dropped their lawsuit following the announcement.