• December 3Nick Jonas and Priyanka Chopra married Nov. 30

• December 3Former President George H.W. dies at 94

Twenty One Pilots’ Bandito Tour is a Smash

Back to Article
Back to Article

Josh Dun (left) and Tyler Joseph (right) pose decked out in yellow tape, representing their “Trench” era.

Atlantic Records

Atlantic Records

Atlantic Records

Twenty One Pilots came to the BB&T center in Sunrise, Fla. for their Bandito tour on Nov. 4. The duo—drummer Josh Dun and pianist, guitarist and vocalist Tyler Joseph—are touring the globe, performing their number one album “Trench,” released Oct. 2.

The album is the first release by the band in three years, and fans were ecstatic. Songs explore themes of insecurity, faith, mental health and suicidal thoughts.

Well-known for their dominating stage presence and firecracker energy, they surely didn’t bore South Fla. fans. Whether it was Joseph taking a flaming torch and setting a car on fire as he belted out the lyrics to “Jumpsuit” or him laying down his intricate raps amongst pulsating strobe lights and laser beams, the theatrics of the band kept the energy of the room on fire.

After the electric opening number with the car on fire, the band broke into “Levitate,” and the stage literally levitated 25 feet off the ground. Joseph then popped into the crowd for “Fairly Local,” and as the song ended, he took off his black ski mask, revealing his face for the first time. The crowd went wild, but then were treated to a trailer of a moving red-hat, signaling the band was about to play “Stressed Out.” The trademark cap descended from the ceiling.

“There’s my little guy!” Joseph playfully said as the band transitioned into performing a fresh and funky version of the hit song.

The concert vacillated between complicated raps like “Car Radio” and slow choruses like “Pet Cheetah” and “Bandito,” keeping the crowd constantly on their toes.

Dun stole the spotlight for a crowd-pleasing drum solo while Joseph switched into a floral shirt and strummed a ukulele, rolling into “We Don’t Believe What’s On TV,” followed by “The Judge” and “Lane Boy,” all three songs from their previous album, “Blurryface.” The “Blurryface” tribute ended with a dozen smoke machines propelling pillars of smoke to the ceiling while masked men in white hazmat suits sprayed smoke all over the crowd.

“The Skeleton Clique,” a moniker for Twenty One Pilots fans, was decked out in yellow, black and geometric yellow tape as an homage to the new album’s theme.

The magnitude of their success has not seemed to negatively impact their humility, which is reflected in their constant pausing to thank the crowd and bask in their gratitude, considering many fans have relied on their music for support in times of emotional darkness. The band’s lyrics about trust, loyalty, faith, depression and love have resonated with listeners for almost a decade.

The concert proved Twenty One Pilots is back and stronger than ever.