• December 3Nick Jonas and Priyanka Chopra married Nov. 30

• December 3Former President George H.W. dies at 94

Shooting at California Bar leaves 12 dead and 21 injured

Back to Article
Back to Article

During the shooting, people jumped out of windows, took cover behind tables and hid in the bar’s attic in an attempt to hide from the shooter.

Sun Sentinel

Sun Sentinel

Sun Sentinel

Former marine Ian David Long opened fire inside the crowded Borderline Bar & Grill in Thousand Oaks, Cal. on Nov. 7 late at night, killing 12 and injuring over 20 people.

The suspect was found dead in the bar when police arrived. The autopsy reported Long committed suicide. He was a frequent customer at the bar. One of Long’s friends, who wished to remain anonymous, said, “he was part of the community.”

Long posted on Instagram during the shooting; however, the posts were taken down.

“It’s too bad I won’t get to see all the illogical and pathetic reasons people will put in my mouth as to why I did it,” the shooter posted, according to ABC News. “Fact is I had no reason to do it, and I just thought […] life is boring so why not?”

Evie Cluke, Long’s old high school track team coach, said the shooter would always lose his temper and even assaulted one of the other coaches.

“He said he wanted to be in the Marines because he wanted to go fight in the war for our country and he wanted to kill for our country,” she told the Independent.

The shooter came into the bar dressed in black, armed with a legally owned .45 caliber handgun and smoke bombs. He first killed 23 year-old Justin Meek, the bouncer and promoter at the bar, at the front door.

“[Meek] was only going to be there a couple more months. He had a short gig at Disney then he would go off to the coast guards,” said Josh Kelly, the head D.J at the bar. “He had his life ahead of him, right around the corner, and he’s not here with us anymore because he was protecting our brothers and sisters.”

Meek was friends with another victim, Telemachus “Tel” Orfanos. Orfanos was a survivor of the Las Vegas mass shooting last year, the largest mass shooting in modern U.S history.

Brendan Hoolihan became friends with Orfanos after they both survived the Vegas shooting and they helped each other through the post-traumatic stress. Hoolihan said seeing something like that “takes a toll on your soul.”

Witnesses claimed to see Orfanos run back into the bar to help anyone who might be stuck inside during the shooting, similar to how Orfanos and Hoolihan helped others during the Vegas shooting.

“That’s the kinds of person he was. He will not leave anybody behind,” Hoolihan said to the Washington Post.