• March 7"Jeopardy!" host Alex Trebek announces stage 4 pancreatic cancer diagnosis

• February 15Katy Perry and Orlando Bloom engaged

• February 15Trump confirms he will sign a national emergency to fund border wall

Massive food recall for romaine lettuce and raw meats

Romaine+Lettuce+is+still+safe+to+eat+if+the+packaging+is+properly+labeled%3B+however%2C+any+non-labeled+lettuce+in+refrigerators+from+before+the+recall+should+be+thrown+out%2C+according+to+the+FDA.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Romaine Lettuce is still safe to eat if the packaging is properly labeled; however, any non-labeled lettuce in refrigerators from before the recall should be thrown out, according to the FDA.

Orlando Sentinel

Orlando Sentinel

Orlando Sentinel

The FDA is investigating an outbreak of E. coli infections likely linked to romaine lettuce grown in Cal. since Oct. Similarly, more than 2,500 tons of raw beef are being recalled in connection with a salmonella outbreak affecting people across 25 states since Aug.

Any romaine lettuce entering the market will now be labeled with a harvest date and location, or will be labeled as lettuce greenhouse-grown. If the label is not on the packaging, the FDA recommends not to eat it.

The FDA is still investigating all of the possible growing locations that could be contaminated with E. coli infections. All of the known contaminated growing regions are located in northern and central Cal.

Most varieties of E. coli are fairly harmless; however, the strains of bacteria found in the romaine lettuce, E. coli O157:H7, can cause severe abdominal cramps, bloody diarrhea and vomiting. 52 people have been infected across 15 states with no reported deaths

JBS, the top global meatpacker, initially recalled about 3,500 tons of potentially contaminated beef in Oct. and ensured all of the affected product had been removed from stores.

However, the U.S. Agriculture Department’s Food Safety and Inspection Service said they have identified at least three patients believed to have become sick from JBS’ meat after the recall.

Symptoms of Salmonella include abdominal cramps, diarrhea and fever within 12 hours to three days after eating the contaminated food. While most people recover with no lasting issues, people with weakened immune systems, such as babies and the elderly, can be affected severely.

Between Aug. 5 and Oct. 16, at least 246 people got salmonella with the majority of the cases in Cal., where 66 people got infected. Food poisoning from salmonella is one of the most common bacterial food-borne illnesses, affecting more than a million people in the U.S. each year.