• January 9Voting rights restored for over 1 million former felons in Florida

• January 9Trump demands barrier for border security 'crisis' in national address as shutdown continues

A closer look into “Captain Marvel”

Captain+Marvel+poster+for+Marvel+Studios%E2%80%99+%E2%80%9CCaptain+Marvel.%E2%80%9D+
Back to Article
Back to Article

A closer look into “Captain Marvel”

Captain Marvel poster for Marvel Studios’ “Captain Marvel.”

Marvel Studios

Marvel Studios

Marvel Studios

Directed by Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck, produced by Marvel Studios, and distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Picture, Marvel Studios’ “Captain Marvel” hits theaters March 8, 2019. Marvel released the official second trailer on Dec. 3.

“Captain Marvel” was created in the comic books by writer-editor Stan Lee, and designed by artist, Gene Colan, in “Marvel Super-Heroes #12” in Dec. of 1967.

The story follows Carol Danvers, who is played by Brie Larson, as she becomes one of the universe’s most powerful heroes when Earth is caught in the middle of a galactic war between two alien races. Set in the 1990s, “Captain Marvel” is an all-new adventure from a previously unseen period in the history of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Before she was a superhero, Danvers earned the rank of colonel in the U.S. Air Force, where she served as a pilot, an intelligence officer and a NASA security officer.

The two-minute trailer largely revolves around an ongoing conversation between Brie Larson’s Captain Marvel and Samuel L. Jackson’s younger Nick Fury. Scattered throughout are scenes of Danvers as a space-faring member of Starforce as well as her past as an Air Force pilot. In the trailer, after the Marvel Studios’ logo is displayed, the action cuts to a desert crash site, where Danvers is seen in her flight suit, barely conscious. As she attempts to recover, electric blue energy is seen emerging from her as she is approached by what appears to be a Kree warrior. The trailer immediately revisits the infamous scene from the first trailer of Danvers punching a seemingly kind, old woman onboard a rail car. However, the old woman, who is a Skrull in disguise, seems unfazed by the punch and retaliates with an attack of her own after emitting an inhuman growl.

The Skrulls are defined by their nerve-ending feud with the Kree, and they rank among the most powerful and widespread empires in the Marvel Universe. At the height of its power, the Skrull empire includes numerous worlds and countless members. In their standard form, Skrulls appear as reptilian, green-skinned aliens the size of small humans. However, Skrulls have the ability to shape-shift, impersonating other races, including humans, animals and even inanimate objects. There are also elite classes of Skrull warriors known as “Super-Skrulls” and “War-Skrulls.” These enhanced Skrulls are able to replicate the powers of various Earth heroes.

In the comics, during Danvers’ career in the U.S. Air Force, she had adventures with an undercover alien solider named “Mar-Vell,” the original Captain Marvel from the comics. He was posing as a human scientist on Earth and is well known to Marvel comic book fans as the Kree alien responsible for giving Danvers her powers. In the course of one of their adventures, she developed her superhuman abilities because of a blending of his alien DNA with hers through radiation from an explosion from his planet, later using them to become the superhero, “Ms. Marvel.” After Captain Marvel’s death in the comics, she decided to take on the mantel of Captain Marvel, and it’s Danvers’ Captain Marvel who will be in the upcoming movie in 2019. As Captain Marvel, Danvers has a straightforward superhero power set. She’s super strong and durable, she can fly and hangout in the vacuum of space without dying and can absorb any kind of energy and release it as concentrated blast.

Though “Captain Marvel” won’t take place at the same time as “Infinity War” or any other current Marvel movies, we have every reason to believe the film will serve as a direct lead into the battle with Thanos, thanks to the post-credits scene in “Infinity War.” Just after Thanos completes his Infinity quest and eliminates half of all life in the universe, the scene features Nick Fury and Maria Hill driving around a major city just as people begin to disappear. As Hill starts to fade from existence, Fury rushes to activate a device he’s apparently been carrying with him the whole time: a boxy 1990s pager. Fury manages to send a signal just as he himself disappears, and as the scene ends we see a pixilated version of Captain Marvel’s star symbol flashing on the pagers screen. It’s likely the “Captain Marvel” stand alone film will provide major hints on how the Avengers will be recovered from their defeat by Thanos in “Avengers: Endgame,” releasing on April, 26, 2019 two months after “Captain Marvel.”