• March 7"Jeopardy!" host Alex Trebek announces stage 4 pancreatic cancer diagnosis

• February 15Katy Perry and Orlando Bloom engaged

• February 15Trump confirms he will sign a national emergency to fund border wall

Kansas City man released after serving 17 years for a crime he didn’t commit

Back to Article
Back to Article

Ricky Amos (left) and Richard Jones (right) were initially confused for each other by witnesses.

NBC News

NBC News

NBC News

In 1999, Richard Jones was arrested in Kansas City for a robbery he did not commit. There was little evidence in the case and no fingerprints connecting him to the crime. Two witnesses misidentified Jones, describing a man who looked almost exactly the same. He served 17 years before being released in 2017, when the wrongful conviction was uncovered by the Midwest Innocence Project.

“I hoped and prayed every day for this day to come, and when it finally got here it was an overwhelming feeling,” Jones told ABC News last year.

On Dec. 19, Kansas Attorney General Derek Schmidt released a statement, announcing that Jones will be awarded 1.1 million dollars for his time served. The real convict Ricky Amos will not be prosecuted because the statute of limitations on the crime have expired.

“We are committed to faithfully administering the new mistaken-conviction statute the legislature enacted,” Schmidt said.

In addition to the money award, Jones was given a certificate of innocence and the ability to participate in Kansas City’s health care benefit program for 2019 and 2020.

Not only do Richard Jones and the actual convict Ricky Amos have the same name, but they are similar in age, have the same facial hair and the same cornrows.