• March 7"Jeopardy!" host Alex Trebek announces stage 4 pancreatic cancer diagnosis

• February 15Katy Perry and Orlando Bloom engaged

• February 15Trump confirms he will sign a national emergency to fund border wall

Into the Spider-Man universe once again

Back to Article
Back to Article

Into the Spider-Man universe once again

Sony Pictures

Sony Pictures

Sony Pictures

Producers Phil Lord and Christopher Miller have a long history in animation, well-known for films such “Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs” and “The Lego Movie.” On Dec.14, they released their newest animated masterpiece, the Marvel Studios movie “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.”

The story of Spider-Man, a character originally created by the late comic book legend Stan Lee in 1962, has been told many times through different TV and film adaptations. Tobey Maguire, Andrew Garfield, and Tom Holland are notable actors who have portrayed Marvel’s friendly neighborhood crime-fighter.

With a bold visual aesthetic of 3D computer-animated characters with hand-drawn accents and a postmodern hip-hop score, this new film suggests a vintage comic book film come to life. The “great power and great responsibility” transfers from Peter Parker, who dies at the beginning of the film, to young street artist Miles Morales.

Morales looks to Peter B. Parker, the alternate version of Spider-Man voiced by Jake Johnson, as his mentor, much to Parker’s dismay. Parker is now depressed, divorced, and out of shape, so it’s not too shocking that he doesn’t want to help the young and peppy Morales learn how to cope with his new life as a superhero. Parker eventually softens as he gets to know Morales, and the two form a close bond.

The story follows Morales, played by Shameik Moore, as he transforms from an awkward 13-year-old Brooklyn boy into Spider-Man. Unlike any other previous Spider-Man film, Morales is not the only one in the blue and red suit. Spider-Mans from different dimensions, voiced by Jake Johnson, Hailee Steinfeld, John Mulaney, Nicholas Cage, and Kimiko Green, fall through a space-time portal into Morales’ universe, where they team up with him to take down an evil mobster and close the portal so it won’t destroy the universe.

“Who’d have thought that animation could turn a whole army of interdimensional webslingers into something fresh, funny, fierce and revolutionary? ‘Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse’ is not only the coolest Spider-Man epic ever, it’s one of the best movies of the year,” said Peter Travers from Rolling Stone.

The takeaway of the film is anybody can be Spider-Man, no matter what your gender or race is, an inspiration to a new generation of kids eager to identify with Marvel’s most popular superhero. This film once again proves that Spider-Man is timeless.