• March 7"Jeopardy!" host Alex Trebek announces stage 4 pancreatic cancer diagnosis

• February 15Katy Perry and Orlando Bloom engaged

• February 15Trump confirms he will sign a national emergency to fund border wall

Uber: land and sea

Back to Article
Back to Article

Uber: land and sea

An Uber speedboat boat taking a cruise with some passengers off the coast of Croatia.

Uber

Uber

Uber

On June 26, 2017, UberBOAT was launched in Croatia. UberBOAT has essentially the same concept as Uber’s cars: open the app, type in your destination and wait for your ride. UberBOAT is still easy to use and get picked up in, except now your destinations aren’t limited to land.

Although UberBOAT has previously been tested in cities such as Miami, Istanbul and Cannes, the Croatian UberBOAT was the first public trial. It isn’t surprising that Uber decided Croatia was the perfect place to launch, considering the country is home to over 1,000 islands.

This is obviously very exciting for people who are visiting these beautiful islands. With the pick-up drop-off capability of getting in a regular Uber, a stressful and expensive day at the boat rental shop has turned into a relaxing day being chauffeured from island to island. A boat ride fitting up to 8 people starts at $330 and is an additional $2.60 per minute. This allows for a day of boat cruising at a reasonable price.  

While this is very exciting for tourists and Uber, the locals in Croatia aren’t as enthused. Croatian taxi drivers protested, claiming that Uber is here illegally and taking all of their business.

Uber’s original intention in Croatia was to create UberBOAT for pleasure, but in Mumbai, UberBOAT is used mainly to decrease roadway traffic. Starting at just $80 for a 6 to 8 seater speedboat and $132 for a 10-person UberBOAT XL, riders travel along the Mumbai’s waterway, saving the city a significant amount of money.

According to Uber, “congestion costs Indian cities as much as 22 billion dollars a year.”

UberBOAT is becoming an international success and it would not be surprising if America was UberBOAT’s next stop.