• March 7"Jeopardy!" host Alex Trebek announces stage 4 pancreatic cancer diagnosis

• February 15Katy Perry and Orlando Bloom engaged

• February 15Trump confirms he will sign a national emergency to fund border wall

“Empire” star Jussie Smollett arrested for hoax attack

Jussie+Smollett+was+charged+with+disorderly+conduct+and+filing+a+false+police+report.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Jussie Smollett was charged with disorderly conduct and filing a false police report.

BBC

BBC

BBC

On Jan. 29, Jussie Smollett, an openly gay and black singer and actor, was reportedly attacked by two masked men at approximately 2 a.m. in Chicago while on his way home. However, the attack is now under investigation for being a hoax and a call for attention, with the star wanting an increase in his salary.

On Feb. 21, Smollett was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct and filing a false police report. Later that day, Smollett was released on $10,000 bond and had to surrender his passport. He is now awaiting trial and if found guilty, will face up to three years in jail.

Smollett, who plays Jamal Lyon on popular Fox TV show “Empire,” reported being a victim of a homophobic and racist hate crime. In a detailed report, Smollett claimed he was beaten by two masked men who screamed racial slurs at him, poured bleach on him and tied a noose around his neck. He claimed the men uttered phrases like, “This is a Make America Great Again Country.”

Allegedly, the actor was on the phone with his manager at the time the attackers called out to him on the street. Smollett ignored their calling and continued walking until they began to shout slurs at him. He then engaged with them, and the attack began with the throw of a punch.

Smollett’s manager was still on the phone after the attackers left and immediately called the police. Smollett was then taken to the hospital to be treated for broken ribs and multiple bruises.

Smollett later reported he received a note, with a picture of a stick figure hanging from a tree with a gun pointing at it. Allegedly, the note also contained a hateful message spelled out in magazine clippings and a white, powdery substance.

The public was quick to respond with outrage to Smollett’s attack. However, some believed the attack was a hoax from the start, orchestrated by the actor himself because he was displeased with his salary.

Allegedly, Smollett paid two brothers, Olabinjo and Abimbola Osundario, $3,500 to play out the attack. Surveillance footage has been recovered of the brothers a day before the attack purchasing ski masks and rope. According to phone records, Smollett was in contact with them two days before the attack. There is also a video of the brothers walking down the street after the attack.

On the morning of Feb. 13, Smollett sat for an interview with Robin Roberts of Good Morning America where he gave a detailed timeline of the events that took place. He also included his distaste for the President and his belief his attack was solely motivated by supporters of Donald Trump.