• March 7"Jeopardy!" host Alex Trebek announces stage 4 pancreatic cancer diagnosis

• February 15Katy Perry and Orlando Bloom engaged

• February 15Trump confirms he will sign a national emergency to fund border wall

See ya later, PETA-gator

Back to Article
Back to Article

See ya later, PETA-gator

PETA sparked outrage when they insulted Steve Irwin's legacy on his birthday.

Australia Zoo

Australia Zoo

Australia Zoo

Feb. 22 was Steve Irwin’s birthday. Irwin would have turned 57 if not for his untimely death in 2006. People took a day to pay tribute to Irwin and to all that he did for animals and the environment. Google even created a Google Doodle of him for their homepage. It was a bittersweet day of remembrance for the nature-loving Australian.

So, of course, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, PETA, had to put their two cents in.

#SteveIrwin was killed while harassing a ray; he dangled his baby while feeding a crocodile & wrestled wild animals who were minding their own business. Today’s #GoogleDoodle sends a dangerous, fawning message. Wild animals are entitled to be left alone in their natural habitats,” PETA tweeted.

This instantly created backlash, prompting many of Irwin’s fans to defend him.

“Steve Irwin taught us to live along with animals, his message was nothing less than full wildlife conservation. He never did anything to stray from that,” Twitter user @mikehondo97 tweeted.

Irwin was a conservationist whose only main goal in life was to help animals. Why is PETA attacking someone like that when their goal is to help animals through, “public education, cruelty investigations, research, animal rescue, legislation, special events, celebrity involvement, and protest campaigns,” according to their website?

PETA is nothing but a hypocritical, antagonistic organization that doesn’t help animals whatsoever.

According to petakillsanimals.com, PETA killed 71.70% of animals under its care in VA in 2018. PETA claims that even adoptable animals aren’t safe, and thus puts them down. There is cause to believe these claims are inaccurate.

In 2014, PETA took a pet Chihuahua from a family’s home without any reason. PETA employees later returned to the residence with a fruit basket, saying that the dog had been killed.

In 2007, PETA employees were charged with animal cruelty and littering for dumping the dead bodies of cats and dogs in a dumpster. It was revealed that PETA would promise to find homes for animals left in their care and then just euthanize them.

Not only does PETA hurt animals, the creatures they have sworn to protect, but they also hurt children. In 2013, the organization distributed disturbingly graphic comics called “Your Mommy Kills Animals” to children accompanying women wearing fur. PETA potentially traumatizes children in order to manipulate their parents.

As if that isn’t enough, PETA has drawn comparisons between black slaves and livestock. They claimed that SeaWorld should free their Orca Whales, citing the 13th amendment, which freed African American slaves. This makes light of all that slaves had to endure, and to compare people to animals is incredibly racist.

On top of that, PETA includes naked women in their propaganda, putting pregnant women in cages, drawing out meat cuts on a woman’s body and telling ice cream companies to use human breast milk instead of cow’s milk.

PETA has also claimed that dairy causes autism, saying, “[Autistic people] may be able to find relief with a simple dietary change — removing milk from their diet.” They also created an advertisement depicting a frowny face made of cereal floating in a bowl of milk, accompanied by the text “Got Autism?” Not only is this completely inaccurate, is it also offensive to autistic people. This is ableist behavior that could make autistic people think that they are lesser than others.

PETA always makes their unnecessary opinion be known, yet they have never stopped to point the finger of blame at their own corrupt practices and disrespect for the creatures of this planet.

PETA’s voice should no longer be relevant, whether in the animal rights sphere or the social media sphere. Irwin deserves better. Animals deserve better. We all deserve better.