• May 21‘Game of Thrones’ finale brings a record 19.3 million viewers to HBO

• May 20Golden State Warriors beat Portland Trailblazers 119-117, became second team to compete in NBA finals five consecutive years

• May 20 Chicago police seek suspect in arson attempt at synagogue

• May 20Violent, long-lasting tornadoes threaten Oklahoma, Texas

• May 2016-year-old migrant boy dies in U.S. custody, 5th child to die since December

• May 20May 28- 1st period final exam followed by a full school day with shortened class times

• May 20May 29- Second and third period exams, school day ends at 12 p.m.

• May 20May 30- Fourth and fifth period exams, school day ends at 12 p.m.

• May 20May 31- sixth and seventh period exams, school year ends at 12 p.m.

• May 20Rising seniors wear black on Thursday, May 23 to celebrate becoming the oldest on campus

See ya later, PETA-gator

Back to Article
Back to Article

See ya later, PETA-gator

PETA sparked outrage when they insulted Steve Irwin's legacy on his birthday.

Australia Zoo

Australia Zoo

Australia Zoo

Feb. 22 was Steve Irwin’s birthday. Irwin would have turned 57 if not for his untimely death in 2006. People took a day to pay tribute to Irwin and to all that he did for animals and the environment. Google even created a Google Doodle of him for their homepage. It was a bittersweet day of remembrance for the nature-loving Australian.

So, of course, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, PETA, had to put their two cents in.

#SteveIrwin was killed while harassing a ray; he dangled his baby while feeding a crocodile & wrestled wild animals who were minding their own business. Today’s #GoogleDoodle sends a dangerous, fawning message. Wild animals are entitled to be left alone in their natural habitats,” PETA tweeted.

This instantly created backlash, prompting many of Irwin’s fans to defend him.

“Steve Irwin taught us to live along with animals, his message was nothing less than full wildlife conservation. He never did anything to stray from that,” Twitter user @mikehondo97 tweeted.

Irwin was a conservationist whose only main goal in life was to help animals. Why is PETA attacking someone like that when their goal is to help animals through, “public education, cruelty investigations, research, animal rescue, legislation, special events, celebrity involvement, and protest campaigns,” according to their website?

PETA is nothing but a hypocritical, antagonistic organization that doesn’t help animals whatsoever.

According to petakillsanimals.com, PETA killed 71.70% of animals under its care in VA in 2018. PETA claims that even adoptable animals aren’t safe, and thus puts them down. There is cause to believe these claims are inaccurate.

In 2014, PETA took a pet Chihuahua from a family’s home without any reason. PETA employees later returned to the residence with a fruit basket, saying that the dog had been killed.

In 2007, PETA employees were charged with animal cruelty and littering for dumping the dead bodies of cats and dogs in a dumpster. It was revealed that PETA would promise to find homes for animals left in their care and then just euthanize them.

Not only does PETA hurt animals, the creatures they have sworn to protect, but they also hurt children. In 2013, the organization distributed disturbingly graphic comics called “Your Mommy Kills Animals” to children accompanying women wearing fur. PETA potentially traumatizes children in order to manipulate their parents.

As if that isn’t enough, PETA has drawn comparisons between black slaves and livestock. They claimed that SeaWorld should free their Orca Whales, citing the 13th amendment, which freed African American slaves. This makes light of all that slaves had to endure, and to compare people to animals is incredibly racist.

On top of that, PETA includes naked women in their propaganda, putting pregnant women in cages, drawing out meat cuts on a woman’s body and telling ice cream companies to use human breast milk instead of cow’s milk.

PETA has also claimed that dairy causes autism, saying, “[Autistic people] may be able to find relief with a simple dietary change — removing milk from their diet.” They also created an advertisement depicting a frowny face made of cereal floating in a bowl of milk, accompanied by the text “Got Autism?” Not only is this completely inaccurate, is it also offensive to autistic people. This is ableist behavior that could make autistic people think that they are lesser than others.

PETA always makes their unnecessary opinion be known, yet they have never stopped to point the finger of blame at their own corrupt practices and disrespect for the creatures of this planet.

PETA’s voice should no longer be relevant, whether in the animal rights sphere or the social media sphere. Irwin deserves better. Animals deserve better. We all deserve better.

1 Comment

One Response to “See ya later, PETA-gator”

1. Lucy Post on March 21st, 2019 9:07 am

The site referenced in this article is run by a front group for the meat industry, which has long tried to smear PETA and other animal protection groups in an attempt to distract from the real issues. See http://www.petakillsanimalsscam.com/. Unlike the industries this group represents–which kill animals painfully, so they can make money by selling their flesh–PETA is a shelter of last resort for animals who need euthanasia to end their suffering (many of whom have been rejected by other facilities because euthanizing them would make their “numbers” look bad). PETA also offers free and low-cost spay/neuter services—last year alone, they sterilized more than 11,4000 animals at a cost of over 1.2 million to PETA, preventing countless animals from being born only to end up homeless , neglected, or abused. Please watch this short video to see some of the animals PETA has helped in its community: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XZZnK7G2Y0

The owner of the dog, Maya, has acknowledged in a written statement that he realizes that her death was a tragic mistake, and his family has expressed gratitude to PETA for its services to the community. PETA spends millions on free and low-cost care for local families and their animals, including emergency veterinary care; flea, tick, and flystrike preventive medications; and free spaying and neutering to prevent animal homelessness, as well as replacing inadequate shelter, like metal drums, with doghouses and straw bedding in winter and answering emergency calls for assistance, such as free euthanasia services and end-of-life care for those with no funds to pay for it. PETA made a donation to the Virginia Beach SPCA in Maya’s honor.

• See ya later, PETA-gator

Opinion

Should old offensive tweets ruin careers?

• See ya later, PETA-gator

Opinion

Amazon takes over

• See ya later, PETA-gator

Opinion

Make Earth Day every day

• See ya later, PETA-gator

Opinion

Laugh tracks need to laugh themselves away

• See ya later, PETA-gator

Opinion

How far will an athlete go to succeed?

• See ya later, PETA-gator

Opinion

Football fields or forums?

• See ya later, PETA-gator

Health & Wellness

5 health benefits of going vegan

• See ya later, PETA-gator

Opinion

A not-so-beautiful controversy

• See ya later, PETA-gator

Opinion

Telling your story in a whole new way

• See ya later, PETA-gator

Showcase

The Jupiter High Class of 2019 Graduates on May 21

See ya later, PETA-gator