• April 15Tiger Woods wins the 2019 Masters Tournament

• April 15No School Friday 4/19

• April 15WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange arrested in London on U.S. extradition warrant

• April 10JHS Drama puts on Mary Poppins Jr. at 7 p.m. on April 11 & 12 and 2 p.m. on April 13

• April 10SGA Voters Registration April 11 at lunch. Must be 16 and have a government ID

• April 10Yearbooks available for purchase cash or check in room 4-203

• April 10JHS Talent Show May 2

Ethiopian Airlines crash kills all 157 passengers, causes airlines to ground Boeing’s 737 MAX 8

Rescuers+in+Ethiopia+helping+with+the+Ethiopian+Airlines+wreckage.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Rescuers in Ethiopia helping with the Ethiopian Airlines wreckage.

Sky News

Sky News

Sky News

On March 10, an Ethiopian Airlines Boeing 737 MAX 8 took off from Addis Ababa’s Bole Intl. Airport before crashing just minutes after takeoff, killing all 149 passengers and 8 crew members.

The plane was just six minutes into its flight on its way to Nairobi, Kenya when it lost contact with ground control and nosedived into a field near Bishoftu, around 40 miles southeast of Ethiopia’s capital. Boeing’s 737 MAX 8 was also the plane involved in the Lion Air crash that plunged into the Java Sea 12 minutes after takeoff back in Oct. of 2018.

The passengers represented a total of 35 nationalities, including 8 Americans and 18 Canadians.

President Donald Trump made an announcement on March 13, ordering a ground stop of all Boeing 737 MAX jets in the U.S., joining the other 40 nations in banning the aircraft, including Australia, Canada, China, Egypt, India and Switzerland.

Airlines such as Ethiopian Airlines, China Airlines, Turkish Airlines, Aeromexico and Cayman Airways have banned the aircraft due to multiple recent crashes within the last six months.

Ethiopian Airlines announced a delivery of the 737 MAX 8 back in July of 2018 and the company has received around 4,700 orders for the new aircraft, according to Boeing.

The Boeing 737 MAX 8 is the latest version of the 737. According to the Associated Press, it’s the world’s most common aircraft.

Two flight data recorders from flight ET302 were found just a day after the crash 37 miles southeast of the capital. Investigators are currently still examining the cause of the crash and what happened.