• April 15Tiger Woods wins the 2019 Masters Tournament

• April 15No School Friday 4/19

• April 15WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange arrested in London on U.S. extradition warrant

• April 10JHS Drama puts on Mary Poppins Jr. at 7 p.m. on April 11 & 12 and 2 p.m. on April 13

• April 10SGA Voters Registration April 11 at lunch. Must be 16 and have a government ID

• April 10Yearbooks available for purchase cash or check in room 4-203

• April 10JHS Talent Show May 2

Jupiter High students participate in Care Week

Back to Article
Back to Article

Junior Colby Gordon takes the pledge to not drive under the influence during prom night.

Grace Campbell- Hutts

Grace Campbell- Hutts

Grace Campbell- Hutts

The week of March 25, prior to prom, Warriors said “No” to drinking and driving, taking a stand against getting behind the wheel while intoxicated.

Jupiter High students signed pledges throughout the week, saying they would not drink and drive prom night. SGA provided a table in the atrium where the students could sign a pledge between 7 and 7:30 a.m.

On March 26, the “grim reaper”, the grim reaper is a person who wears a black hooded robe and has an axe, gave away 30 passes to randomly selected juniors to join seniors for the guest speaker Cara Filler on March 27.

Filler spoke about the accidents that can happen on prom night when driving while distracted or under the influence. She also spoke about a tragedy that happened when she was a teenager, where she lost her twin sister in a fatal car crash.

“The speech was definitely moving, I cried during it. It really troubled really touched me deeply, it made me think twice just about driving,” senior Alexandria Demerac said. “She made me realize how things can come to an end very quickly in a matter of seconds.”

As she spoke to Jupiter High seniors and selected juniors, Filler gave tips, or the “three P’s,” to get out of the car if they feel the person driving should not be behind the wheel.

The “Three P’s” were to act as like you’re going to puke, going to pee your pants or for girls, going to get your period.

“We were able to get Cara Filler by simply contacting her a few times and seeing what her availability was. We were not able to have our usual guest speaker that we had last year who is also amazing so we sent an email to other Student Government Association’s in the district to ask if they had any suggestions,” senior Grace Campbell said. “However, she has also been one of the speakers at our state convention in previous years and she is nationally known so we have seen and experienced her presentation before.”

Throughout the week, public service announcements aired on the morning announcements, and tombstones posters with drunk driving statistics posted around the school.

On March 29, the final day of Care Week, volunteers placed flyers on cars in the Daniels Way and gym parking lots to remind students to not drink and drive on prom night, which was occurring later that day at 8 p.m. at the Wyndham Grand Hotel in Harbourside Place.

Each year, SGA puts in countless hours to plan and organize Care Week. However, it is a powerful way to raise awareness of the dangers of drinking and driving.

“It takes a minimum of a month to organize care week because we have to prep everything, contact guest speakers and car shops around town to have them covered for the week of. Also, after we have all of our dates set and confirmed we then go into planning and making the pledges [for] people to sign, the gift for the guest speaker and then publicity we post around school,” Campbell said.