America takes steps to stop teen vaping

Back to Article
Back to Article

America takes steps to stop teen vaping

Vaping has become an epidemic in America, especially among middle and high school students.

President Donald Trump recently sat down in the Oval Office with U.S. government’s health officials.

“We can’t allow people to get sick and we can’t have our kids be so affected,” Trump said.

As teenage vaping and the mysterious lung illness rises, the Trump administration said they are considering implementing a ban on the sale of most flavored e-cigarettes.
A report from the Surgeon General states E-cigarette usage increased 78% during the past year and in 2018 1 in 5 high school students used e-cigarettes.

Health officials say there are 450 cases of vaping-related illness’s spread out to 33 states and that vaping played a possible role in nine deaths.

The U.S. Health and Human Services Secretary, Alex M. Azar II, noted that the Food and Drug Administration is working a plan to remove e-cigarette and nicotine pods from stores.

Students and faculty of the Jupiter Medical Center Medical Academy at Jupiter High have studied the vaping epidemic in America.

“The fact that kids are getting addicted and needing the flavor of nicotine is super scary to me because that was never something when I was in high school,” medical teacher Peyton Ellis said. “Just to be addicted to anything, whether it be something we think is harmful or not. It’s just not healthy.”

Freshman Grace Lavallee, a Medical Academy student, has ideas on how students and faculty can bring awareness to the issue of teen vaping.

“You could use social media like Instagram to spread it, or make posters and put them up in the hallways and go over the announcements on what’s bad,” Lavallee said.