Warriors of Jupiter: Earl McGee

Jupiter+High+School%27s+head+custodian+Earl+McCgee+and+freshman+Addy+Kondik+in+the+school%27s+courtyard+during+Homecoming+Spirit+Week.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Warriors of Jupiter: Earl McGee

Jupiter High School's head custodian Earl McCgee and freshman Addy Kondik in the school's courtyard during Homecoming Spirit Week.

Kaysa Flemk-Joli

Kaysa Flemk-Joli

Kaysa Flemk-Joli

Earl McGee, Jupiter High’s beloved head custodian, will be retiring at the end of 2019-2020 school year.

Born and raised in Jupiter, Fla., McGee loves being a big part of the Jupiter community, and said he especially appreciates the students’ optimism and their ability to just be good people.

“I love being around good kids because you guys are the most important reason why I enjoy working here,” McGee said. “The most lovable thing here in Jupiter has got to be the people because I grew up here and even went to this high school, and I love all of the friendliness people have.”

In his free time, McGee loves to travel, especially to his favorite destination, the Florida Keys. He hopes to visit there more often after he retires.

“I love the Keys because no matter who you are, you can be whoever you want to be and no one will judge you because everyone is treated the same,” McGee said.

The happiest day of his life was the day he graduated from Jupiter High not only because it was a big accomplishment but also because of his Warrior pride. 

“I knew that the day I graduated, I would have to really grow up…It was such a big deal, so it was definitely the happiest day of my life,” McGee said.

One life lesson he has learned throughout his life is to make the right choices. He said that by doing so will keep you out of trouble and lead you to the right places.

“Years ago, I tried climbing a ladder…and I fell and got very hurt, knowing I should’ve made the right choice and asked for help,” McGee said.

McGee has an important role at the high school, as he oversees that all buildings on campus are functionally and aesthetically intact. Although a huge responsibility, he enjoys his work and even considers working as his hobby. 

“I’ve worked her for 38 years, so it’s like waking up in the morning to brush your teeth and take a shower,” McGee said.

Retirement will not slow him down, McGee plans to continue his favorite thing and work at another place in the community, maybe at a private school or even a local business.

“When I retire, it will be a new chapter in my life, and I’ll keep working so I can just continue to help people,” McGee said.

One of McGee’s colleagues, media specialist Patti Potts, has known McGee for years and believes he will be hard to replace.

“He is the heart and soul of this place, and it’s going to be completely different without him because he’s someone to everybody. He is irreplaceable,” Potts said.

McGee will be greatly missed, but he will leave an imprint on all hearts at Jupiter High. 

“Jupiter High School has the best kids and staff out of all of Palm Beach County, and I’ll miss that a lot next year,” McGee said.