Local community service opportunities during a pandemic

If you are a Jupiter High student looking to give back to the community, even during a pandemic, there are local places and clubs that could use your help. Volunteering also allows students who still need to meet the community service requirement, or the 100 hours for college, a chance to not only earn hours but also make an impact. 

Volunteer at Loggerhead Marinelife Center 

Loggerhead Marinelife Center is a non-profit organization specializing in education, conservation, research, rehabilitation and operations. To volunteer, applicants need to be at least 16 years old, or 18 with a high school diploma for the research, rehabilitation and operations departments. To apply, first go to the organization’s website and register for your preferred department. 

They do not always accept all applicants,as their needs are constantly changing, but they always need volunteers, so don’t hesitate to apply again if acceptance is not granted the first time. After the list is sent, applicants who are accepted will be emailed several forms to complete for consideration for a volunteer shift in their department choice.Volunteers also need to attend two orientations, have a background check and be interviewed. Response time is usually fairly quick. More information can be found at https://marinelife.org/

Join the Interact Club at Jupiter High school 

The Interact Club is open to all Jupiter High students who are interested in community service. Throughout the year, the club holds monthly meetings for students to get the latest information on volunteer opportunities and events. These meetings will be held virtually for the year. Club information and updates are posted regularly on Interact’s Google Classroom; to join, use the code RG4XL2O. The Remind codes for all grades are: freshmen @rotary9th, sophomores @rotary10th and juniors, seniors @rotary1112. 

Become a poll worker for the 2020 election 

Students who are at least 16 years old can volunteer this election season and earn twelve hours of community service, according to an email sent by the school district. Student volunteers should be registered or pre-registered to vote and be prepared to attend two training sessions: a general, hour-long session and a longer session specifically for their job assignment. 

Florida law requires any poll worker to complete a mandatory Conflict Management and Sensitivity Training for each election cycle. Poll workers must be able to read, write and speak English, work a 14-hour day, remain non-partisan, arrive at the polling location by 6 a.m. and stay until 8 p.m., the approximate closure of all polling locations.

To complete an application, go to:https://www.pbcelections.org/.