SGA plans for homecoming week

SGA+prepares+a+poster+for+spirit+week.+

SGA prepares a poster for spirit week.

Jupiter High’s student government association is hosting homecoming the week of Oct. 11-16 after a year of virtual and hybrid learning.

SGA, along with club sponsors and leaders, chose this year’s theme, ‘Under the Stars,’ last school year. Because of COVID-19, homecoming festivities were put on hold, and this year they’ll look slightly different than in year’s past.

However, per tradition, four dress-up days, with varied themes, will occur during homecoming week.

The first dress-up day theme is class colors. Freshmen will wear white, sophomores will wear yellow, juniors will wear green and seniors will wear black. On Oct. 11 students are encouraged to attend the homecoming pep rally, in their class colors, which will be hosted in the Velocity Community Credit Union Stadium.

“I’m really excited for the pep rally after COVID-19 because we haven’t had the experience in a long time,” Caroline Gabriel, a JHS junior, said.

The second theme is ‘country club vs. country.’

“I think it’s really funny and exciting, and I’m excited to see how everyone dresses up,” Bree Dinow, a JHS freshman, said.

The third theme day is ‘iconic character day.’

The fourth theme is ‘generation day,’ where freshmen will dress as babies, sophomores will dress as elementary schoolers, juniors will dress as the working class and seniors will dress as senior citizens. In year’s past, this has been one of the most popular dress-up days, and students were excited about their generational costumes.

“I love the energy [homecoming] brings to the students,” Haylee Jackson, a JHS sophomore, said.

As always, students who participate in dress-up days, are required to stay in dress-code.

SGA will spend Oct. 15 preparing for the homecoming dance, since it is a day off from school for students. In the afternoon and evening, the homecoming parade, carnival and football game will occur on this day. The carnival starts at 4:30 p.m. and ends before the football game against Wellington at 6:30 p.m. The parade will take place during the carnival, starting at 5:30 p.m.

Danny Green, a JHS sophomore and SGA’s spirit committee chairperson, is tasked with planning the spirit days and the pep rally.

“I’m really excited to see everybody dressed up and see everybody happy,” Green said.

The homecoming dance will begin at 7 p.m. on Oct. 16 and will last until 11 p.m. The dance will be held in the courtyard to take safety precautions because of COVID-19. Students will also be allowed to bring guests but will have to fill out a form with their guests’ information.

“I’m excited to see all of the underclassmen enjoying a school dance for the first time, especially the sophomores,” Ellie Willis, a JHS junior, said. “A lot of the sophomores were off-campus, they never got to have that first year of high school.”

This being her third year on the spirit committee, Willis has worked on all of the pep rallies, tailgates and spirit weeks that have occurred during her time at JHS.

Michael DeLeonardo, the SGA advisor and emcee for pep rallies, has remained optimistic about this year’s homecoming.

“We’re going to try and keep [homecoming] as close to normal and traditional as possible, and be responsive to the concerns of the school board, and the general public. But no, we’re not canceling anything,” DeLeonardo said.

For more information regarding homecoming week, visit https://linktr.ee/jhssga