Breaking News
  • April 32024 Spring Print Edition Coming Soon!
  • December 5Class of 2024 Graduation Date: May 22, 2024 at 8:00 AM at the South Florida Fairgrounds.
  • November 8Read our War Cry Wednesday newsletter!
  • August 29Follow War Cry on Instagram @jupiter.warcry!

Warriors of Jupiter: Mark Skeie

Ryann Weinstein

Mark Skeie, AP Human Geography and AP Government teacher at Jupiter High School, is retiring at the end of the 2023-24 school year. He is a multifaceted individual with career paths varying from being an athlete, government official, chef and teacher, who has had a profound impact on his students.

Skeie grew up in Billings, Montana, and described his childhood as “typical.” 

Skeie began skiing at three years old and pursued it professionally for nine years. He participated in football, gymnastics and cheerleading for his high school and won two state  gymnastics championships. Besides sports, Skeie was an avid student who enjoyed history and school. 

“I’ve always enjoyed politics,” Skeie said. “My uncle was the majority whip in the Montana legislature for many years. So, a lot of my parents’ friends were politically active and that was just always an interest to me.”

As a child, Skeie was introduced to Vice President Richard Nixon. He also had the honor of meeting Ronald Reagan when he was the Governor of Calif. Reagan and others attended the Western Governors conference at the Skeies’ lake house in Montana in the 60’s. 

“There was a landfill that serves a lot of Yellowstone National Park. In the evenings they would burn the garbage there. After dark, everyone would drive out to the dump and bears would come in and start feeding on it,” Skeie said. “Governor Reagan at the time was just sitting on the back of our car watching the grizzly bears feed.” 

At the age of 16, Skeie got his first government security pass. He only lived five miles outside of Yellowstone National Park, and worked as a purveyor in the park.

Skeie attended Colorado State University majoring in Political Sciences, International Relations and Asian Studies. He transferred to Chapman College in Los Angeles to attend a program called World Campus Afloat, which is now known as “Semester at Sea” aboard a Taiwanese ship. 

“The crew was being paid according to a Taiwanese maritime pay scale which was under the international pay scale,” Skeie said. “Australia at the time was basically trying to make a name for themselves internationally so they blackballed the ship so when we got into port, they wouldn’t give us a pilot boat to get out.” 

Skeie and a few of his classmates were in charge of negotiating the payment contract, so they could continue on their way. He also had to negotiate with the Prime Minister at the time.

“A gentleman of the name CY Tong was the orient overseas line out of Taipei,” Skeie said. 

After college, Skeie spent about 25 years in the restaurant business as a cook, waiter, captain and general manager. When he got away from the restaurant business, he worked in real estate, then sold stocks and bonds. He also worked selling office products and peripherals. 

“I could never hold a job really, I still haven’t found a real job,” Skeie said. 

He enjoys filling his time with photography, fishing on his lake in Montana, family time and reading and writing.  

“I liked to read and write, but my favorite author is myself,” Skeie said. 

Skeie wrote an intriguing mystery novel, which is not yet available to the public, and will not release the title, but he says he may release it to the public one day.

Skeie has been teaching for 24 years, 20 of them at Jupiter High. 

“[Skeie] is so multifaceted,” Mia Barrows, sophomore, said. “He has so many things he tells you throughout the year that you’re kind of just shocked a person is able to do so many things.”

Skeie’s past students like Kate Hanssen, sophomore, remember his stories. 

“He’s a very inspiring person, he’s actually done everything you can think of,” Kate Hanssen, sophomore, said. 

Skeie’s students describe his class as a family.

“We were able to joke around with Mr. Skeie and the class in general. It was just fun to be there,” Barrows said. 

Skeie is retiring at the end of the 2023-24 school year, and is ready for his next adventure. 

View Comments (2)