Breaking News
  • April 29May 31 - Last Day of School For Students
  • April 29May 10 - Senior Sign Out (Seniors Last Day of School)
  • April 32024 Spring Print Edition Coming Soon!
  • December 5Class of 2024 Graduation Date: May 22, 2024 at 8:00 AM at the South Florida Fairgrounds.
  • November 8Read our War Cry Wednesday newsletter!
  • August 29Follow War Cry on Instagram @jupiter.warcry!

Jupiter High cheer ends their season as ESPN’s team of the week

Provided by Jupiter High’s cheer team

The Jupiter High School cheer team ends its season by being selected as the Entertainment and Sports Programming Network (ESPN) team of the week.

On Mar. 5, the team was posted on the official West Palm ESPN Instagram, with a picture of the team receiving a check for $500 after being recognized for having the best performance of the week. 

“It was such an honor to be picked for performance of the week,” Samantha Jaeger, head coach, said. “It is always special to get picked for something like that so the girls can get recognized for their achievements.”

With the funds they were given, the cheer team plans to put the money towards competition fees, camp fees and uniform fees.

“We will most likely put that money toward future competition travel fees for the upcoming season,” Jaeger said.

The 2023-2024 season began rough with the team experiencing some major setbacks. The head coach dropped out halfway through the season but the team ended up pushing through with Jaeger stepping up as the new head coach.

“It was definitely a rough season, but with the coaches stepping up it was a great season,” Layla Bastanzi, freshman, said.

The team is designed in a way where every person’s position matters, and with a sport like cheer, it is crucial for everyone to show up in order to successfully execute a routine. This season, they experienced the issue of two girls leaving the team mid-season which affected how they perform their routines.

“It’s definitely detrimental when someone leaves, especially because every single position matters,” Strayer said. “We had to redo the routine and reform new stunt groups.” 

This is Jaeger’s first time as a head coach, as she was previously the assistant coach. She had to adjust to the new position which required her to learn a lot in a short amount of time.

I had a lot to learn and I had to learn it fast,” Jaeger said. “I am still learning so much and I’m sure the upcoming season will bring new challenges.”

The team had a variety of success this season such as placing second in the Florida High School Athletic Association (FHSAA) Regionals and advancing to the FHSAA States placing as the state runner-up.

“My favorite part was definitely the bonds I formed with all the girls on and off the mat,” Lauren Strayer, senior, said. “I’ll cherish these memories forever, and always be thankful for them and what they taught me.”

With all the obstacles the team faced this season, they were able to make the best of it. Throughout the season they’ve ended every practice with a good laugh and a smile on all of their faces.

“I’m going to miss it so much, since I’m a senior,” Strayer said. “I love all the girls on the team, they all taught me so much, and I’m so grateful for all of them.”