• Project Graduation chicken dinner fundraiser deadline extended to Friday, April 20

• Congratulations to JHS state-champion cheerleaders who finished fourth in the nation.

• All sports and clubs info available via Edline in the calendar section

• 2018 yearbooks on sale for $100 (cash or check to room 4203)

Jupiter High’s SWAT club spreads awareness about the negative effects of tobacco use

Jupiter High’s Students Working Against Tobacco (SWAT) club is dedicated to spreading awareness about the harmful effects of smoking, chewing tobacco and vaping.

“We work to eliminate use of tobacco products by teens. If we can eliminate use as teens then chances are there will be no use as adults. We are launching an Anti-vape campaign at JHS,” sponsor and ESE teacher Sherman Steele said.

Recently, SWAT was involved in the Great American Smokeout. This event occurs every year on the third Thursday of Nov.

“It is a day for encouraging tobacco users to quit or to make a plan to quit. This year we had a table in the courtyard where students and faculty could make a tobacco free pledge,” Steele said.

To help promote an end to smoking on social media, students can use the hashtags #dontsmokestaywoke, #SWAT, #dontbebullied and #studentsworkingagainsttobacco.

Students can also help out by attending a SWAT event or meeting.

“SWAT meets at least once a month. We may have a meeting in school, an event at school or a meeting in the community. This month, Dec. 2017, we will have a beach clean-up at DuBois Park, a meeting on campus, and Toys for Tots at the Edna W. Runner Tutorial Center,” Steele said.

By joining the club, members learn about the harmful effects smoking and vaping has on our bodies and about how to get current tobacco users to quit.

“It is a great opportunity to get community service, as well as engage with our peers and community,” SWAT President Brianna Schneider said.