• January 9Voting rights restored for over 1 million former felons in Florida

• January 9Trump demands barrier for border security 'crisis' in national address as shutdown continues

What to know for Election Day

Back to Article
Back to Article

What to know for Election Day

Election Day is Nov. 6, with many novel decisions appearing on the ballot.

The Palm Beach Post

The Palm Beach Post

The Palm Beach Post

Elections can be confusing, especially to first-time voters. Read this for all the information you could possibly need to know for Election Day.

When?

The primary election for the 2018 midterm was Aug. 28, but the general election will be held Nov. 6. All registered voters, regardless of party affiliation, have the right to vote. To find your polling place, go to https://registration.elections.myflorida.com/CheckVoterStatus. Absentee ballots and early voting dates are alternatives to voting before Nov. 6. Early voting goes on from Oct. 22 to Nov. 4 in Palm Beach County.

What do I need?

On election day, you will need to bring a current and valid ID with you. This can be anything from your driver’s license, to your passport, to your student ID and even to your credit or debit card, so long as it has your signature on it. If you forget to bring a valid ID, you can still vote using a provisional ballot, which will be counted as long as your signature on the ballot matches your signature in your registration record.

What is on the ballot?

Governor: Andrew Gillum (D), mayor of Tallahassee, and Ron DeSantis (R), former U.S. Representative for Florida are running for governor.

U.S. Senate: Incumbent Bill Nelson (D) and soon-to-be former Governor Rick Scott (R) face each other for a seat on the Senate.

U.S. House: Depending on your voting district, you will vote on a House Representative. Go to http://discover.pbcgov.org/countycommissioners/Pages/DistrictLocator.aspx to find your district. Those in District 18 will vote for either Lauren Baer (D) or incumbent Brian Mast (R). Those in District 22 will vote for either incumbent Ted Deutch (D) or incumbent Nicolas Kimaz (R).

State Senate: 22 of the 40 Florida State Senate seats are up for election. Who will appear on your ballot will also be according to your district, so be sure to stay informed on who is running to represent the area where you live.

State House: All 120 Florida State House of Representatives seats are up for election. Find your voting district to see who will be on your ballot.

State Constitutional Amendments: 12 referendums will appear on the ballot.

Amendment 1 proposes an increase on homestead property tax exemption. This means that property greater than $100,000 and up to $125,000 will be exempt from taxes.

Amendment 2 proposes a limit on property tax assessment increases on non-homestead properties to up to 10% per year.

Amendment 3 proposes barring legislators from authorizing casino gambling, and instead gives the power to voters to decide.

Amendment 4 proposes restoring the voting rights of felons who have completed their parole or probation, excluding those convicted of murder or sexual charges.

Amendment 5 proposes the requirement of two-thirds approval in each legislative chamber in order for sales taxes to be raised.

Amendment 6 proposes that the rights of victims be included in the Constitution and also allows judges to retire at 75.

Amendment 7 proposes a mandatory payment of death benefits and waiver of educational expenses to the survivors of first responders and military members who died on duty. It also requires college boards to have a supermajority vote in order to raise fees.

Amendment 9 proposes prohibiting oil drilling off Florida’s coast and prohibits vaping in enclosed workplaces.

Amendment 10 proposes that all counties should be required to elect sheriffs, property appraisers, supervisors of elections, tax collectors and clerks of court.

Amendment 11 proposes new non-discriminatory property rights for non-citizens and would allow new prosecutions when laws are rewritten.

Amendment 12 proposes legislators be prohibited from lobbying for six years, compared to the previous two-year cap.

Amendment 13 proposes prohibiting dog racing in Florida. Other betting activities will not be affected.

Countywide School Question: This question proposes a tax based on the value of your home that will go towards funding for the school district. It will fund safety equipment, hire additional school police and mental health professionals, fund arts, music and physical education and increase teacher pay.