Warriors of Jupiter: Nurse Jackie

Jupiter High’s new nurse, Jackie Martyniuk, is excited to join the Warrior family. She outlines her career as reaching out, helping others and working to keep people healthy in a pandemic. 

Martyniuk has been a registered nurse for 11 years and has a background in emergency rooms, telemetry, cardiac units and the veterinary field. 

“I wanted to be a veterinarian, but that changed very quickly when I volunteered at a veteran’s hospital and fell in love with nursing,” Martyniuk said. “[Nursing] became a passion as I walked into it.”

Martyniuk appreciates her job as a nurse because she gets to teach and help people at the same time.

“As a nurse, you not only get the chance to teach but [also] to aid in someone’s life and well-being,” Martyniuk said.

Martyniuk explained how she felt immediately welcomed by the JHS faculty and staff. 

“I felt like I was home, and everybody was such a team player. It’s amazing,” Martyniuk said. “I’ve only been here two weeks, and it feels like I’ve been here much longer than that.”

Coming to a new environment during a pandemic is something not everyone experiences, but for Martyniuk, she felt the staff really helped her out, considering the new changes and guidelines that needed to be set. 

“Everyone was so quick to assist in making a safe environment here by creating barriers, isolation rooms, moving equipment, and other certain aspects that were set up within a day,” Martyniuk said.  

One of Martyniuk’s favorite things about JHS is the students, and the way they respond to her.

“I haven’t had any pushback from students, which can happen a lot whether you are in school or hospital settings, and I haven’t felt unwanted here, or like I don’t belong,” Martyniuk said. 

Martyniuk’s advice to Jupiter High students is if you are sick, then stay home to keep others safe and healthy.

“We are here for you guys, but if given the fact that you are feeling any symptoms, stay home,” Martyniuk said.

Martyniuk added she looks forward to encountering new students and involving herself more in school activities.

“I look forward to meeting each and every one of you guys as time goes on, and I am so excited to see sports, academics and artistry,” Martyniuk said.