UPDATE: Boys lacrosse wins states

Jupiter High’s varsity boys lacrosse team has an impressive record of 16-1, seeking another state title to finish off their 2021 season. 

To make it to the state semi-finals, Jupiter won against St. Thomas Aquinas in the final regional game with a score of 8-7 on April 30. Jupiter dominated against Marjory Stoneman Douglas in the semi-final regional game with a score of 22-7 on April 23 and also beat Wellington High School in the final district game with a score of 19-1 on April 15. 

After winning the state championships against Bishop Moore High School in 2018, the team has focused on reclaiming their title after their last season was abruptly cut short in March 2020 because of COVID-19.

“With the thought of playoffs now happening, the boys are more focused than ever to make the final push to play in the last game of the season. It’s the time now where we have got to put our attention to detail in everything we do,” Reef Kabalin, senior defensive player, said. 

With the state championship in sight, the team is careful to focus on one game at a time. 

“We got through districts and regionals, so we have to focus on states now. I truly believe we will go all the way this year. I saw how exciting it was to win and receive public attention in 2018, so it would mean a ton to win while I am still at Jupiter,” Todd Giol, junior midfielder, said. 

During the important postseason, the athletes are set on maintaining a positive mindset. According to Parker Jahn, sophomore defensive player, the energy of the team affects their performance on the field.

“The energy of the team definitely contributes to the intensity of the game. We are always hyped on the sidelines, which always makes a good difference,” Jahn said.  

In 2018, Jupiter High was the first public school to win the state championships for boys lacrosse. The freshmen who witnessed this special moment are now seniors on the team, hoping to win a state title of their own. 

“With this being my final season at Jupiter, the last thing I want is to be sitting on the bleachers watching other teams fight for the state championship,” Kabalin said. “The harder we play, the more games we get to play. At the end of the day, we are all chasing that ring.”