Girls volleyball prepares for districts

Jupiter High’s girls varsity volleyball team ends their regular season with 16 wins and five losses.

The girls defeated Vero Beach High School in their first playoff game on Wednesday, Oct. 19. They will continue their district tournament run against Fort Pierce Central on Thursday, Oct. 20.

“I am really confident that we will be successful because we have been training hard at practice everyday and dialing on the little things as well,” Ava Webster, sophomore, said. 

Although they didn’t go undefeated like last year, the girls still had a great season.

“Our regular season went amazing. Although we weren’t undefeated this year, our record is still  very impressive considering we lost 12 seniors,” Maren Hunt, senior, said. “Our team chemistry is amazing and that made the season extremely fun.”

Losing 12 seniors had a big impact on the team, but they are slowly growing back to an impressive team.

“Losing a bunch of seniors was definitely a downfall, but now that we’re building up our team together- and [this year we have three seniors]- it’s going to be just fine,” Trinity Quick, senior captain said. 

Macy McAmis, freshman, is this year’s starting libero and is excited to showcase her abilities in the playoffs. 

“[Being a starter] is intimidating. The pressure of being the incoming freshman and having a great team last year is big, but my teammates help me a lot,” McAmis said. 

McAmis loves the closeness of all the girls and coaches on the team. 

“The family part on and off the field and making new friends who I now look up to as older sisters is my favorite part of high school,” McAmis said.

The team is led by head coach Blane Betz, along with five other assistant coaches.

“My coaches are constantly providing feedback during games, ultimately bettering myself as a player,” Hunt said. 

The girls believe they can go far in the playoffs coming off the season they had. 

“It’s been a more challenging year, dealing with more adversity than we have had to in the past,” Webster said. “But we worked together to overcome it in the long run.”