Breaking News
  • April 32024 Spring Print Edition Coming Soon!
  • December 5Class of 2024 Graduation Date: May 22, 2024 at 8:00 AM at the South Florida Fairgrounds.
  • November 8Read our War Cry Wednesday newsletter!
  • August 29Follow War Cry on Instagram @jupiter.warcry!

Hawaii devastated by wildfires

Fireplace+burning
Bella Uccellini
Fireplace burning

The deadliest wildfires in America occurred in Maui, Hawaii on Aug. 8 with an initial death toll of 96. The Maui fires fatality rate surpassed the most lethal fire in US history, the 2018 Camp Fire which killed 85 individuals. 

The cause of the fire is yet to be fully identified; although it is rumored fallen power lines or  decisions by Hawaii’s primary power company could have contributed. In addition, the high winds from Hurricane Dora acted as a natural ignition to the fire. 

Maui County reported on Monday, Aug. 21, 115 people have been confirmed dead, 35 have been identified and 13 families have been notified, according to CBS. In regards to the 850 individuals missing, their family members or friends were asked to submit their DNA samples to assist body identification.

The damage of the Hawaii wildfire resulted in approximately $6 billion dollars. The wind gusts during the fire were up to 81 mph with blinding smoke and insufficient escape routes. 

Data shows 90% of wildfires start from human activity and 10% to unattended campfires, equipment defects, the burning of debris, carelessly left cigarettes, and deliberate acts of arson. Weather conditions also play a role in the spread of wildfires.  

The wildfires caused devastation to not only the people involved, but those who have visited or previously lived in Hawaii. 

Leilani Bermudez, sophomore, formerly resided in Oahu, Hawaii, for eight years. She explained her feelings on having loved ones affected by these fires. 

“I was sad because I’ve been to [Maui], and I saw it before it was basically flattened,” Bermudez said.  “Their houses were completely flattened, all of their family homes and land were completely destroyed”.

Jordan Weinbaum, junior, previously visited Maui for community service purposes before the fires. 

“The fires make me so sad for the environment I was able to enjoy that many people are not any more and many are not even able to live there anymore because the lifestyle is highly affected,” Weinbaum said. 

DOI explains these fires can be potentially hindered by checking weather and drought circumstances, avoiding building a fire near flammables, ensuring a fire is completely extinguished before leaving it unattended, keeping vehicles off of dry grass, and maintaining your vehicle safely.

“It was so beautiful, all the wildlife and all the places no one will get to see again,” Bermudez said. 

View Comments (3)