Breaking News
  • April 32024 Spring Print Edition Coming Soon!
  • December 5Class of 2024 Graduation Date: May 22, 2024 at 8:00 AM at the South Florida Fairgrounds.
  • November 8Read our War Cry Wednesday newsletter!
  • August 29Follow War Cry on Instagram @jupiter.warcry!

Lizzo responds to lawsuits

Mellissa Vivianne Jefferson, otherwise known as Lizzo, is an actress, singer and songwriter known for spreading messages of women empowerment and confidence. She frequently speaks on her insecurities regarding her body as a child, but as she grew older, she learned to embrace who she was. Despite the persona she has demonstrated on the internet, Lizzo has been accused of weight-shaming, sexual harassment and creating a hostile work environment.

Dancers Crystal Williams, Noel Rrodrigez and Arianna Davis filed a lawsuit against Lizzo and her production company, Big Grrrl Big Touring. The company has also been filed for religious harassment, disability discrimination, assault and false imprisonment. 

Dancers claim Lizzo pressured them to touch a nude performer, and falsely accused them of drinking on the job. Three dancers also allege she called attention to a dancer’s weight gain and soon fired her after she recorded a meeting due to a health condition. 

Sofia Cussen, senior at Jupiter High School, expressed her opinion on the incident. 

“I do think she was body shaming people even though she gives out the opposite message,” Cussen said. “She will be unfollowed from all my social media platforms because I don’t condone that behavior.”

The suit filed against Lizzo accuses the captain of her dance team, Shirlene Quigley, of propagandizing to performers and ridiculing those who have participated in sexual activity. Plaintiffs believe Lizzo was aware of the comments made by her dance captain. 

Lizzo claims these statements are false and describes them as “outrageous” and “unbelievable,” as stated by NBC News. Lizzo claims she is not the “victim,” but she also says she is “not the villain that people and the media have portrayed me to be these last few days.”

Fans who idolized Lizzo were disappointed with her alleged actions. 

“I think [the fans] will be hurt,” Cussen said. “They will be insulted to have such a role model in their community do this.”

These allegations are not the first time Lizzo has been sued regarding her work environment. Rolling Stone Magazine brought Lizzo’s previous lawsuits to light. Six months prior to these most recent assertions, 14 different dancers sued and were offered a significant settlements of $7,092 to $7,545 each. 

Others also signed the settlement agreements to which included a non disparagement and confidentiality clause hindering the dancers from discussing the settlement with third parties. The suit involved misogyny, weight-shaming, and racism much like the most recent litigation. 

Lindsey Morell, senior and former Lizzo fan, discussed how the situation changed her views. 

“I am no longer a Lizzo fan,” Morell said. “[The body positive community] will find someone else to idolize.”

Although many people have come forward and spoken about Lizzo’s alleged misconduct, several dancers have also announced their support for the singer. 

A post on The Big Grrrls’ Instagram page read, “THANK YOU to Lizzo for shattering limitations and kicking in the doorway for the Big Grrrl & Big Boiii Dancers to do what we love! […] Not only for Us, but for Women and All people breaking Barriers.” 

Although the celebrity is experiencing significant controversy, there are still fans who believe these accusations are untrue.

Hayden Siegel, junior, described his loyalty to Lizzo.

“Lizzo would never body shame anyone,” Siegel said. “She doesn’t like to be body shamed herself.”

However, Lizzo going from publizing her advocacy for confidence and being unapologetically herself to then being accused of hypocritical actions left fans feeling hopeless. 

Eliana Cohn, junior stated her feelings about the effect Lizzo is having on her fanbase. 

“I think it’s really harmful for girls who used to idolize her on the internet and look up to her,” Cohn said. “Nobody can really trust anyone.”

View Comments (1)