Breaking News
  • April 32024 Spring Print Edition Coming Soon!
  • December 5Class of 2024 Graduation Date: May 22, 2024 at 8:00 AM at the South Florida Fairgrounds.
  • November 8Read our War Cry Wednesday newsletter!
  • August 29Follow War Cry on Instagram @jupiter.warcry!

Warriors of Jupiter: Mason Barela

Photo provided by Mason Barela
Barela walks off the field at a summer baseball tournament for his travel club, CBU 2024 Scout Team.

Mason Barela, senior, recently committed to Cornell University, after playing baseball for the past 16 years. 

Barela has secured a spot on Jupiter High’s varsity baseball team all four years of high school, and was one of the first freshmen to play up on varsity.

“I went in my freshman year and I made the varsity team as a 14 year old. It was a little intimidating to have to play with 18 year olds, but I tried to not let that get to me,” Barela said. “I had to start training in the gym a lot and really tried to get as strong as the older guys I was playing against.”   

Coaches such as Andrew Mook, head baseball coach at Jupiter High, recognize Barela’s success and dedication as inspirational. 

“[Barela] was the first freshman we’ve had on varsity in a while,” Mook said. “When he came on board and tried out, he had the demeanor of a junior or senior. He was only 14 but he was really mature already,” Mook said. 

In Oct. 2022, Barela attended a showcasing camp with collegiate level baseball recruiters in hopes of receiving recognition from the recruiters present.

“I went [to the camp] and thought I did really well,” Barela said. “Afterwards, [a recruiter] asked for my number to keep in contact, but I didn’t hear anything back. I contacted him and found out that the recruiter lost my number and wanted to sign me.”  

Within two weeks, Barela had committed to Cornell University with a Division I offer. 

“It happened so fast, honestly,” Barela said. “The whole thing was crazy. I knew my grades weren’t top level, but I really wanted to put my all into sports.” 

Cornell University is an Ivy League school with an acceptance rate of seven percent. Known for its prestigious education, Cornell is also in the top 30 percent for the best baseball programs in the country. 

“I never thought something like going to Cornell would be possible,” Barela said.  

Caden Honsberger, sophomore and fellow baseball player, admires Barela’s skills and  accomplishments.

“When I practice with him, I can see [Barela] is a leader for the team and is really invested in the success of the team,” Honsberger said. “It’s nice to know that the hard work we put in can help us get into a good program like Cornell.”  

Barela also has baseball to thank for many of his relationships, friends and opportunities. His father played baseball as well, and introduced the sport to Barela when he was young. 

“Baseball is a major part of my life. I have so many best friends I’ve met through baseball and just overall connections through it,” Barela said. “My dad and I also have a much closer bond now from baseball.” 

Throughout his years of playing, Barela has had to learn how to balance hard work with enjoyment. 

“The most important thing for me was remembering why I started playing. I take baseball really seriously, but it’s also a game,” Barela said. “At the end of the day, it’s supposed to be fun.”

While continuing his baseball career at Cornell, Barela plans to also work towards getting an applied economics degree. With this degree, Barela aspires to work for a well known bank in his future. 

“I’m really excited for the future,” Barela said. “I know that this is what I’m meant to do and I’m excited for a new chapter.”

View Comments (1)