Breaking News
  • April 29May 31 - Last Day of School For Students
  • April 29May 10 - Senior Sign Out (Seniors Last Day of School)
  • April 32024 Spring Print Edition Coming Soon!
  • December 5Class of 2024 Graduation Date: May 22, 2024 at 8:00 AM at the South Florida Fairgrounds.
  • November 8Read our War Cry Wednesday newsletter!
  • August 29Follow War Cry on Instagram @jupiter.warcry!

Jupiter High’s Drama Club puts on “Into the Woods” play

Scarlett Bolt
Cast performing “Into The Woods.”

Jupiter High School’s Drama Club performed their annual spring play “Into the Woods” on April 5 at 6 p.m. and April 6 at 2 p.m. in Jupiter High’s auditorium. 

“Into the Woods” is a musical performance that combines many Brothers Grimm characters and fairytale plots into one, exploring separate paths and consequences that ultimately lead to each character obtaining their desires and a happily ever after. 

“Into the Woods” was chosen [as this year’s musical] because it is a fantastic story, has amazing music and it has a large cast of characters,” Samantha Knight, Jupiter High’s Drama Club teacher, said. “It teaches important life lessons while giving many students the opportunity to be onstage. In the context of the musical, going “Into the Woods” means going into the hardships of life, and facing them courageously.” 

Auditions took place on Nov. 13 and 14. Students were required to have one song from the musical prepared for the character they were auditioning for. 42 students auditioned, and roles were assigned Nov. 14 after the last auditions. 

“At auditions, students prepared part of a song, and then auditioned with short scenes from the musical, to find the best fit for singing and character,” Knight said. “When an actor is auditioning, I look for: commitment to the show, willingness to look silly  or awkward (the best actors tend to be the least self-conscious), creativity, adaptability, cooperativeness [and] acting ability. Being able to sing and dance is definitely a plus, especially if it is a musical.”

The official cast list is Bella Venanzi (Witch), Cecile Rubin (Baker), Kayla Real (Baker’s Wife), Ava Scotten (Cinderella), Ava Morgan (Jack), Little Red (Liz Lutkins), Max Alfonso (Narrator A), Tom Gerring (Narrator B), Juan Gallego (Cinderella’s Prince), Christian Poe (Rapunzel’s Prince A), Hunter Kelso (Rapunzel’s Prince B), Grayce Zakarian (Wolf 1 A), Jack Pracey (Wolf 1 B), Ollie Ashenbaugh (Wolf 2 A), Nicole Gartner (Wolf 2 B), Lauren Meira (Rapunzel A), Tanner Ralph (Rapunzel B), Ivette Moretta (Stepmother A), Rylee Fox (Stepmother B), Kenley Kuypers (Florinda A), Mia Fuentes (Florinda B), Lucinda (Mackena Howard), Joseph Marchena-Vasquez (Mysterious Man A), Mackenzie Schultz (Mysterious Man B), Sarah Podlesnik (Jack’s Mother), Kat Jones (Cinderella’s Mother A), Willow Gutierrez (Cinderella’s Mother B), Regan Donovan (Grandmother A), Natalie Fischer (Grandmother B), Snow White and Milky White (Alee Matrunola), Sleeping Beauty (Victoria Hillberg), Regan Donovan (Grandmother A), Leah Jarochym (Grandmother B), Steward (Don Domingo Lopez), Charles Frasca (Steward) and Nate Keller (Cinderella’s Father).

“We had two casts because we wanted to involve as many creative minds as possible,” Bella Venanzi, junior, said.“While it was great to see so many new faces in the drama program, it was difficult to account for everyone all the time and make sure everyone was on the same page. We got through it though and it was interesting to see how two different actors can interpret the same role in a way that makes it their own.”

The set of the play was built by the students. Various cast, crew and stagecraft students spent class and club time designing, building and adding detail/paint to rocks, trees, Granny’s bed and Rapunzel’s tower.

“I’m so glad that I was able to work with them [the cast and crew]. There was a moment in time when a lot of people in the cast including myself thought that we might not be ready in time. But when the time came down and dirty everyone learned their [parts]. It was great to see,” Juan Gallegos, junior, said.

In total, 600 tickets were sold in over two days. Tickets were sold for $20 for general admission and $10 for students. Money from show tickets will be put towards future productions, Thespians competition costs and other theater-related costs.

“All the actors were so good, having live music was wonderful.  The play is very complex, but these kids, obviously guided and directed by their teacher, Ms. Knight, were wonderful. They made for a very entertaining evening, they told a story, the audience was rapt,”  Dr. Colleen Iannitti, Jupiter High School Principal, said.