Football game on Sept. 9 sees increase in school spirit

Senior Sela Keating enjoying the football game on Sept. 9

Jupiter High’s football team beat Martin County High School 27-20 on Mon., Sept. 9, during their first home game of the season. The game was originally scheduled for Friday, Sept. 6, but was rescheduled due to Hurricane Dorian.

The Warriors entered their first home game 3-0 with a pre-season win over Okeechobee High School as well. With the team’s success, the stands were filled with students, faculty, parents and community members.

“All of these people in the crowd are actually participating in school spirit. It has never happened before,” senior Cate Glover said.

To support the team and show their spirit, students wore all black.

“I can really feel the excitement of the crowd, and it feels really good to know that everyone is motivating the team,” senior cheerleader Bella Torres said.

The football players said they were motivated by the support and could certainly feel the One Tribe vibe. They’re hoping to continue gaining support and to keep winning.

“The football players are training really hard, despite hurricanes and setbacks like that, and I think this is going to be a really great season for them,” Principal Dr. Colleen Iannitti said.

The team trained over the summer and have been working out a lot, and they said the extra training paid off.

“The guys are putting in 100% effort everyday and it’s starting to show. All of our hard work and just believing in us has accumulated to this point,” senior and assistant coach Nick Grieco said.

Students and faculty said they hope football games will continue to have good energy and spirit.

“I was my high school’s quarterback, and I just love high school football because it’s who I am,” AP U.S. History teacher Michael Fleming said.