Breaking News
  • April 32024 Spring Print Edition Coming Soon!
  • December 5Class of 2024 Graduation Date: May 22, 2024 at 8:00 AM at the South Florida Fairgrounds.
  • November 8Read our War Cry Wednesday newsletter!
  • August 29Follow War Cry on Instagram @jupiter.warcry!

Girls Volleyball prepares for States

Jupiter High girls volleyball varsity team huddling together during regional game.
Kimberly Jalm

Jupiter High’s girls volleyball team enters regionals as the number one seed, winning their first three games. They play in the state semifinals against Winter Park High School on Nov. 10.

“[Regionals] are the most fun because they’re really competitive so the energy on the court is just really great,” Sophia Rodriguez, senior, said.

The girls had a very successful regular season, ending with a record of 20 wins and three losses, but Macy McAmis, sophomore, feels they should have won 22 games.

“We should have taken the beginning of the season more seriously, especially losing two of our early home games,” McAmis said. “We played really hard at the beginning of the games and then we let up and [the opponents] beat us.”

The coaches and Scott Selvidge, athletic director, have helped motivate the girls throughout the season.

“[Selvidge] gave us some really good speeches that I think kind of put a fire underneath some of the girls that needed it,” Elaina Avila, junior, said.

Rodriguez believes the girls need to work on serving and server seed to get ready for their next game.

“Serving is the one thing you can really control because if you serve it out it’s a free point,” Rodriguez said. “Serve receive is also really important because in order to set, you need to get a good pass first.”

McAmis thinks Boca was their toughest competitor yet due to the talent on their team. 

“Boca has been our toughest competitor. They are the only team that has swept us,” McAmis said. “They have three [Division I] commits but I guess we went in overconfident because we’re such a good team this year.”

Throughout the year, the girls have focused on building a team that has good chemistry off the court so they can succeed on the court.

“We have really good chemistry with the new players. Not giving up, staying confident and having each other’s back has helped [as well],” McAmis said. 

The girls face Fort Pierce Central on Oct. 28 and have a 1-1 record against them this year. 

“I’m excited to play Central this Saturday at home, it will be a really good, competitive game,” Avila said.