Breaking News
  • April 29May 31 - Last Day of School For Students
  • April 29May 10 - Senior Sign Out (Seniors Last Day of School)
  • April 32024 Spring Print Edition Coming Soon!
  • December 5Class of 2024 Graduation Date: May 22, 2024 at 8:00 AM at the South Florida Fairgrounds.
  • November 8Read our War Cry Wednesday newsletter!
  • August 29Follow War Cry on Instagram @jupiter.warcry!

Joseph Depasquale awarded Sun Sentinel’s coach of the year

Addison Gload
Coach JD with his fourth period students.

Joseph Depasquale (JD), Jupiter High’s basketball head coach, has been named Sun Sentinel coach of the year after leading the Warriors to a record of 23 wins and three losses in the 2023-2024 basketball season.

“I am very humbled by the award. I am a big believer that to have a high level of success at a big public school you have to have support from the top down,” Depasquale said.

Depasquale shares the team’s success with the staff and everyone who helped out along the way this season.

“We are so fortunate to have the support we do from Dr. Iannitti and Coach Selvidge. A lot of what we do would not be possible without them,” Depasquale said. “I also am grateful for our coaching staff and players as they are just as important to the program as I am.”

The team is grateful for having a coach that is on top of things but also lets the players play their own game.

“He’s a great guy and makes sure everyone is on the same page,” Brandon Collum, freshman, said. “He prepares for every game and we knew what [the other team] was gonna do. He knew to trust us and just let us play.”

Depasquale feels that his two biggest strengths, having a growth mindset and connecting to the players, is what makes him a great coach and leader.

“Our staff is very demanding of our players and I think we are able to coach our kids hard because they know we care about them,” Depasquale said. “I also think to a certain extent programs take on the personality of the head coach and I think my work ethic and toughness wears off on our players leading to a mentality of getting better.”

Along with JD, Kenneth Greenling, senior center position, also received recognition by the Sun Sentinel for his standout year by making Palm Beach County First Team. 

“It’s really rewarding [making All County]. I feel like I’ve been working up to this and it just feels really good,” Greenling said.

Greenling’s hard work can be seen by him going from being an end of bench player as a junior to making the All County First Team as a senior.

“Kenny had a great senior season. He did not play much as a junior but worked incredibly hard in the off-season, transformed his body and improved his skill level,” Depasquale said. “A nice amount of our on court success this year can be credited to his development.”

Jupiter Basketball is looking for another great season next year with Depasquale leading the way.

“The Jupiter Basketball program has a very proud alumni base and as one of those alumni I know the responsibility that comes with the job.” Depasquale said. “I am so grateful to get to do what I love at a place that is so special.”

View Comments (1)