• May 21‘Game of Thrones’ finale brings a record 19.3 million viewers to HBO

• May 20Golden State Warriors beat Portland Trailblazers 119-117, became second team to compete in NBA finals five consecutive years

• May 20 Chicago police seek suspect in arson attempt at synagogue

• May 20Violent, long-lasting tornadoes threaten Oklahoma, Texas

• May 2016-year-old migrant boy dies in U.S. custody, 5th child to die since December

• May 20May 28- 1st period final exam followed by a full school day with shortened class times

• May 20May 29- Second and third period exams, school day ends at 12 p.m.

• May 20May 30- Fourth and fifth period exams, school day ends at 12 p.m.

• May 20May 31- sixth and seventh period exams, school year ends at 12 p.m.

• May 20Rising seniors wear black on Thursday, May 23 to celebrate becoming the oldest on campus

Jupiter High sends 3 teams to the annual Brain Bee at the Max Planck Institute

Junior+Ajay+Garg%2C+senior+Samantha+Clayman+and+junior+Max+Bello+competed+at+the+Max+Planck+Florida+Institute+for+Neuroscience%E2%80%99s+Brain+Bee+as+Jupiter+High%E2%80%99s+team+one.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Junior Ajay Garg, senior Samantha Clayman and junior Max Bello competed at the Max Planck Florida Institute for Neuroscience’s Brain Bee as Jupiter High’s team one.

Shari Rodgers

Shari Rodgers

Shari Rodgers

On April 6, nine Jupiter High students competed in the annual Brain Bee neuroscience competition at the Max Planck Florida Institute for Neuroscience.

The Brain Bee is a single-elimination trivia competition competed in teams of three that covers topics such as learning, memory, emotion, sensation, movement, aging, neurobiology, brain anatomy and neural disorders.

“Competing in the Brain Bee helps students to experience science outside of the classroom. It exposes them to high-level neuroscience content. It helps them in their content knowledge for AP Psychology and AP Biology,” Shari Rodgers, Brain Bee sponsor and Advanced Placement Biology teacher, said.

The top three teams receive a gift card of varying amounts, and the first place team gets the chance to shadow a Max Planck Institute scientist for a day.

“I really wanted my group to win because I want to go into medicine or science in some capacity and getting to see what an actual scientist does would have been so cool,” junior Eva Miklos said.

The teamwork required to be successful in the Brain Bee teaches students how to work with others and make time to study for something outside of school.

“I’m not going to lie, working with all of my teammates’ busy extra curricular schedules to find time to get together and study was challenging, but in the end we made it work and I am proud of how far we got,” senior Samantha Clayman said.

This year, the event was live streamed to the Internet for anyone who made a free account to watch. In an effort to encourage those not competing to watch the competition, Max Planck Institute gave a 3D printer to the school who had the most people watch the live stream, and Jupiter High won.

“We are so amazed and thankful at the number of people that supported us by logging in,” Rodgers said. “The first task of the 3D printer will be to print trophies for the Brain Bee participants! From there, maybe chloroplasts, catapults, insects…”