Breaking News
  • April 29May 31 - Last Day of School For Students
  • April 29May 10 - Senior Sign Out (Seniors Last Day of School)
  • April 32024 Spring Print Edition Coming Soon!
  • December 5Class of 2024 Graduation Date: May 22, 2024 at 8:00 AM at the South Florida Fairgrounds.
  • November 8Read our War Cry Wednesday newsletter!
  • August 29Follow War Cry on Instagram @jupiter.warcry!

Messi joins Inter Miami

Scarlett Bolt
Student playing soccer.

Lionel Messi, the number one ranked soccer player in the world, left Paris Saint-Germain soccer club and the European League to join Inter Miami on July 15.

Florida residents such as Melanie Jones, JHS teacher and soccer fan, look forward to having this strong player so close to home. 

Inter Miami will be a more relaxed environment for Messi, and it also gives him an opportunity for partial ownership of the team in the future,” Jones said.

Jones feels Messi joined Major League Soccer (MLS) due to his age, 36, and great abilities. 

“Soccer players have the shortest careers of all professional athletes because of the stamina required,” Jones said. “[Messi] is slowing a bit, and the level of play in the MLS will be perfect for him.”

Inter Miami finished in last place last year in the MLS standings. 

“Miami finished 15th of 15 last season and have yet to lose a game with Messi,” Dylan Bruns, junior, said. “They are going to win the MLS.”

Bruns believes Messi made the best decision when leaving his former club.

“For him, it is like an Elite Clubs National League player, a standout youth club, going to play in a [recreational] league,” Bruns said.

The Inter Miami club has been very successful in all forms, especially in profits, which have skyrocketed since Messi joined in July.

“Ticket sales and prices have gone through the roof, season tickets are sold out with a massive waiting list, revenue is up for the team and the city of Miami,” Jones said. “Messi has already made a huge impact on the team, both in leadership and skill development.”

Messi’s new contract expires in 2025 and he will be 38 years old.

“Chances are, he’ll retire [when his contract is up]. If not, I’d assume he’s going to finish his career where he played last year or extend his contract for a couple more years in Miami,” Bruns said. 

Although many don’t agree with his decision of leaving Paris Saint-Germain, fans are happy they can still watch him play. 

“I would do exactly the same thing—continue to play the game I love, positively impact my team, become an owner of the team, relax a bit, and laugh my way to the bank,” Jones said.